Help identifying PCB connector?

benhowell

Joined Apr 16, 2018
Hello!

I'm currently in the process of modifying the some internal parts from an old Aiwa Hi-Fi system in order to make use of it's amplifier.
Unfortunately the inner PCBs of the system are constructed at right angles which severely limits my options in terms of the new cabinet design.
I am looking to join them using a cable, but I don't trust my soldering abilities to connect all 30 pins reliably.
Does this connector look like a standard part which I could find a ribbon cable for online somewhere?
I've included pictures of both sides of the female connector, as well as a single image of the male connector.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

All the best
Ben H

Attachments

benhowell

Joined Apr 16, 2018
Hi Shortbus, thanks for your help. I'm not sure how a ribbon cable could interface with that socket - there is only one single row of thin contacts inside, which the male connector fits around. I can't seem to find any connectors or sockets similar online.

On the board which has the male connector (the first image), I could feasibly wedge a stripped ends of a ribbon cable in there to make a connection, but I definitely would need some sort of other male connector for the other end of the cable in order to slot it into the socket shown in the third image.

When I get in from work this evening I will try to get an image with the two boards connected to better show how this joint works.

Regards
Ben

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Those are blade connectors. You maybe find some tho they was used some years back in lots of stuff but I don't no there real name.

There flat blades, Not round and close to each other.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Does this connector look like a standard part which I could find a ribbon cable for online somewhere?
No it does not..
Time to brush up on your soldering skills..
With the proper tools it should be quite easy to desolder those connectors and either solder in discrete wire or find ribbon cable connector system to replace it..

benhowell

Joined Apr 16, 2018
No it does not..
Time to brush up on your soldering skills..
With the proper tools it should be quite easy to desolder those connectors and either solder in discrete wire or find ribbon cable connector system to replace it..
Do you know I hadn't even realised that the actual pin layout on the board itself looks fairly normal. Do you reckon if I just get some standard 30 pin ribbon cable sockets they would mount into those existing holes? (Provided I manage to remove the existing solder and connectors without destroying the board!)

benhowell

Joined Apr 16, 2018
Those are blade connectors. You maybe find some tho they was used some years back in lots of stuff but I don't no there real name.

There flat blades, Not round and close to each other.
Yeah, the system itself is a good 16-17 years old now. The speakers and amplifier were pretty decent but the CD changer, tape deck and tuner were all dead - only the Aux in function worked. I've replaced the system entirely with new gear but it just seems a shame to bin a working amplifier and good speakers.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a way to do this. Thanks for your help! :)

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Do you know I hadn't even realised that the actual pin layout on the board itself looks fairly normal. Do you reckon if I just get some standard 30 pin ribbon cable sockets they would mount into those existing holes? (Provided I manage to remove the existing solder and connectors without destroying the board!)
Yes its likely a standard hole pattern there..

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
All the standard 'IDE' style sockets I can find online lack the staggered pin layout I need. Does anyone know of a particular socket type that has staggered PCB mounting pins?
Whats the pitch/spacing of the connector thats there?
And pin diameter? (or plated through hole diameter is better)..

Staggered isn't as common but there should be something out there..

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
The blade are 30 in a roll but it really not a big job to replace them with something else
2 roll headers would work.

Just take your time with a solder sucker

And a good 40 watt iron try it on a old broad remove a bunch of resistor to get the hang of how to do it.

Last edited: