Help determing errors in circuit schematic

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 803 two pots.PNG [
QUOTE="Alec_t, post: 1027487, member: 217914"]The LM358 can't source or sink much current (~10-40mA) so isn't really suitable for powering projects.[/QUOTE]

In that case just add a transistor. A few hundred mA possible.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Using a pukka voltage regulator gives you the advantage of overcurrent and overheat protection built in. If the 2N4401 output is short-circuited it would release its smoke and go the great electronics lab in the sky.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Using a pukka voltage regulator gives you the advantage of overcurrent and overheat protection built in. If the 2N4401 output is short-circuited it would release its smoke and go the great electronics lab in the sky.
VERY true. But just penny parts.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
At Mouser, an LM317 costs $0.52 and an LM358 cost $0.37.

So, ignoring the other components you need, you would save 15 cents. While foregoing better regulation, better heat dissapation, short circuit protection, temperature protection.

I think you need to learn some design parameters beyond cost.

Bob

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
There are many different voltage regulators available. Earlier in this thread I suggested the LM317.
If you look at the datasheet for this component, and scroll down to section 9, there is a typical application circuit, some design information.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm317.pdf
I meant specifically the pukka voltage regulator, never heard the term and couldn´t find anything related to electronics.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I meant specifically the pukka voltage regulator
Sorry. British slang made famous by chef Jamie Oliver.
From Wikipedia: "Pukka (Hindi पक्का, Urdu پكّاpakkā) is a word of Hindi and Urdu origin, literally meaning "cooked, ripe" and figuratively "fully formed", "solid", "permanent", "for real" or "sure". In UK slang, it can mean "genuine" or simply "very good""

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The pot wiring isn't quite correct and the 330 Ohm resistors for the LEDs would give about 32mA which is a bit much for standard LEDs. More normal might be 10mA for which 1k resistors would be needed. Amended diagram attached.

Attachments

Ok, I'd like the current to flow through the resistor, through the LED and through the POT, could I do that by just inversing the order of the components in the line( from top to bottom: POT, LED, resistor)?
2 displays are meant to connect one in each to show voltage. The voltage supply is meant to be 9V, my main goal is to create two voltage rails with a LED, a switch and a POT (to select voltage) on each rail.
I would not use pots to adjust the led brightness I would replace the pot with a transistor and use PWM then you will have no moving parts!

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Ok, I'd like the current to flow through the resistor, through the LED and through the POT, could I do that by just inversing the order of the components in the line( from top to bottom: POT, LED, resistor)?
2 displays are meant to connect one in each to show voltage. The voltage supply is meant to be 9V, my main goal is to create two voltage rails with a LED, a switch and a POT (to select voltage) on each rail.
The order doesn't matter.
It sounds like you are ready to get some hands on time with these things.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Sorry. British slang made famous by chef Jamie Oliver.
From Wikipedia: "Pukka (Hindi पक्का, Urdu پكّاpakkā) is a word of Hindi and Urdu origin, literally meaning "cooked, ripe" and figuratively "fully formed", "solid", "permanent", "for real" or "sure". In UK slang, it can mean "genuine" or simply "very good""
Origin brought over from the British Raj, and was popular British term throughout the latter 19th cent and into the 20th.
WAY before Jamie Oliver was born.;)
Max.