Help Applying method to find Thevenin and Norton Equivalents

IronBrain

Joined Mar 3, 2010
I am to find the Thevin and Norton equivalents of the following circuits, my problem being I am new to these method and any help is appreciated also is there any way to simplify this circuit properly?

IronBrain

Joined Mar 3, 2010
Yes, it is a current source.
I haven't a good idea of how to approach this problem.
Is there anything I can simplify in the circuit?
If, so how would I procede on accurately?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The symbol as drawn is somewhat ambiguous. The + and - labels makes it appear to be a current-dependent-voltage-source. The arrow inside the diamond makes it appear to be a current-controlled-current-source.

It makes a significant difference which one it happens to be. Can you clarify the symbol for us?

hgmjr

IronBrain

Joined Mar 3, 2010
....I stated the clarifaction above.
It is a dependent current controlled current source, the indication of the polarties indicate the direction of the current source, and it is dependent on the current Ix I indicated above.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
The direction of the arrow (inside the symbol) is all that is needed to know what direction the current is flowing in. The + and - sign are redundant.

hgmjr

Heavydoody

Joined Jul 31, 2009
I assume you are looking in from the right side. Find the open circuit voltage between those two ends. Next, short out those two ends and determine your short circuit current (the current through your imaginary short). The open circuit voltage is the Thevenin voltage. That voltage divided by the short circuit current is the Thevenin resistance. Together, they make up the Thevenin equivalent (the resistance in series with the voltage source). Perform source transformation on that and you wind up with a Norton equivalent (the current source in parallel with the resistance).

IronBrain

Joined Mar 3, 2010
Thanks for the feedback.
Ill try that out and report back if any problems, so I assume there is nothing I can simplify in the circuit right now?

Does the dependent source conflict with me applying these methods?

Heavydoody

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Sorry I disappeared last night. It was a long day. So, I am back from school and I solved this problem.

First, to answer your last question, no further simplification is necessary. The dependent source only adds a third equation to your two nodal equations (three unknowns, three equations).

The numbers here seemed a bit awkward, so if anyone else can confirm this, it would be cool. I came up with -5 volts and 11/2 ohms for the Thevenin and -10/11 amps with the 11/2 ohms for the Norton.