is there any advantage of using a TO-220 or a D2PAK MOSFET over the other?
I'm currnetly using 2 D2PAK MOSFETs in a motor control board for a 30A motor. I ran the motor pulsed at 150Hz, 50% duty cycle for about 8 minutes, and the MOSFETs got so hot that the solder started flowing.
on the opposite side of the D2PAKs, on the other side of the board, I used thermal epoxy to stick pieces of aluminum as a heatsink and mounted that to a metal box, which serves as an enclosure for the entire project and the box was absorbing the heat pretty well. I just have a feeling that the area right behind the D2PAK was getting way too hot and melting the solder.
Is it better to use the TO-220 package and mount some sort of large heatsink in the air? I would ultimately like to mount the backs of the TO-220 to the box itself as a heatsink, but the flange of the TO-220 is drain and not ground.
any pointers or tips?
I'm currnetly using 2 D2PAK MOSFETs in a motor control board for a 30A motor. I ran the motor pulsed at 150Hz, 50% duty cycle for about 8 minutes, and the MOSFETs got so hot that the solder started flowing.
on the opposite side of the D2PAKs, on the other side of the board, I used thermal epoxy to stick pieces of aluminum as a heatsink and mounted that to a metal box, which serves as an enclosure for the entire project and the box was absorbing the heat pretty well. I just have a feeling that the area right behind the D2PAK was getting way too hot and melting the solder.
Is it better to use the TO-220 package and mount some sort of large heatsink in the air? I would ultimately like to mount the backs of the TO-220 to the box itself as a heatsink, but the flange of the TO-220 is drain and not ground.
any pointers or tips?