HC-SR501 ( How to extend delay time?)

John Berry

Joined May 17, 2016
Hello. I have a couple of these pir modules but the delay time is not very long.
One is about 2mins 30s & the other is just short of 3mins. The data sheet says that it can be adjusted to about 5mins and that would be fine, but mine are falling short of that time.
Is there anyway I can modify the sensor? maybe by changing capacitor or resistor values?.
I have attached the data sheet
Thank you very much. John... :)

Attachments

John Berry

Joined May 17, 2016
Yes, increase the RT 1Meg preset or the capacitor CY1 100nF, to increase the delay time.
Hi Dave, thanks for the quick reply.
The RT 1Meg preset, is that the time delay adjust pot? and what should I change it too?
I can see the CY1 - 103 on the data sheet but I am not very good with schematics, is it one of the 4 large capacitors and if so which one is it and what value should I replace it with?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The RT 1Meg preset, is that the time delay adjust pot? and what should I change it too?
I can see the CY1 - 103 on the data sheet but I am not very good with schematics, is it one of the 4 large capacitors and if so which one is it and what value should I replace it with?
I believe CY1 is the red outlined one as shown below.
You will need to at least double its value to get your desired time delay so 22nF to 47nF should do nicely.
Clipboard02.jpg

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If you want to double your time delay, then change the preset resistor to 2.2Meg,.