Hashtag one two

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I mentioned allaboutcircuits.com while helping the robotics club. A member said he posted a question here last fall about a mosfet switch for his arduino. He said a member named "hashtag one two" helped him. I blew coffee out of my nose.

Cheers
GT
I doubt that anecdote. The #12 that I know hates microcontrollers and would never assist an Arduino head.

Seriously, it is a sign of the times that there are those who actually think "hashtag" first whenever they see that symbol.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The #12 that I know hates microcontrollers and would never assist an Arduino head.
It was probably an output driver question. I can handle that, but I do hate microcontrollers in general.
There is one in my central air conditioner. Why? Because it's cheaper than using relays? If that was true, the replacement board shouldn't cost me as much as all the relays in an old style controller put together. There are several microprocessors in the Ford Explorer I'm rehabilitating. Every one of them has a fault except the ECU and the PCM. The air flow modulator motor in the rear air conditioner doesn't receive any voltage signals. The rear dome light goes off after 3 minutes, the front dome light stays on forever, but the wiring diagram shows that they are the same wire. Obviously, they aren't. I would guess one of the outputs of the microcontroller has shorted. This car wants to tell me all about the mileage and oil changes. Right now it calculates an oil change every 15 miles and a fuel efficiency of 1.89 miles per gallon. It tells me the tires are low every time I start the car, but they aren't. The rear view mirror is supposed to change its reflectivity when bright lights come up behind me. It doesn't. The headlight switch has an Automatic position. It's supposed to turn the headlights on automatically if it's dark outside and you start the engine. It doesn't. The radio is supposed to have a volume control that turns the loudness down. You have to press the mute button to get it to quiet down because the volume knob only increases the volume, no matter which way you turn it. There is a window in the roof that is controlled by a microprocessor. It doesn't move at all. The keyfob is supposed to lock and unlock the doors. It transmits, but the microprocessor doesn't do anything with the signals.

Do you think I can buy all those microprocessors for $2 each? LOL! More like $100 each. Ooh! I'm so glad the designers didn't use mechanical switches. Not.:mad:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
There are several microprocessors in the Ford Explorer I'm rehabilitating....Do you think I can buy all those microprocessors for $2 each? LOL! More like $100 each. Ooh! I'm so glad the designers didn't use mechanical switches. Not.:mad:
Of course, there are lots of possibilities why so many of them don't work (including planned obsolescence,) but is it possible that a common issue like poor grounding or some problem on the buss is at fault?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
is it possible that a common issue like poor grounding or some problem on the buss is at fault?
I own the 300 page wiring diagram. I already traced out the grounds while getting the drivers window motor to work.
I have been crawling over, under, around, and through this car in my spare time for 5 months. I went to buy it insurance yesterday because it's going into service as soon as I get the 4 new tires mounted on the wheels.

Some problem on the bus? Would that be a microcontroller bus? This car has 2 busses in it. A CAN bus and another one.
Which microcontroller would be responsible for all these faults? A/C air flow modulator, rear view mirror, radio volume, automatic headlights, keyfob operation, fluid change interval calculators, 2 dome lights that are allegedly on the same wire, tire pressure monitor, moon roof motor... The service manuals list at least 4 microprocessors to do those jobs, but if you name the one part that controls all these things, I'll buy it.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
I own the 300 page wiring diagram. I already traced out the grounds while getting the drivers window motor to work.
I have been crawling over, under, around, and through this car in my spare time for 5 months. I went to buy it insurance yesterday because it's going into service as soon as I get the 4 new tires mounted on the wheels.

Some problem on the bus? Would that be a microcontroller bus? This car has 2 busses in it. A CAN bus and another one.
Which microcontroller would be responsible for all these faults? A/C air flow modulator, rear view mirror, radio volume, automatic headlights, keyfob operation, fluid change interval calculators, 2 dome lights that are allegedly on the same wire, tire pressure monitor, moon roof motor... The service manuals list at least 4 microprocessors to do those jobs, but if you name the one part that controls all these things, I'll buy it.
How much did you pay for the car?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
... I do hate microcontrollers in general.
There is one in my central air conditioner. Why? Because it's cheaper than using relays? If that was true, the replacement board shouldn't cost me as much as all the relays in an old style controller put together.
That's really the nub of it that gets my goat. Expensive parts that anyone could replace piecewise (relays, etc.) have been replaced by an inexpensive-to-build but expensive-to-buy part that cannot be replaced cheaply. For instance the fan controller on my minivan - which is currently dead - costs ~$85 at the dealer. Really!!??? The digital control board for my kitchen stove is ~$150. I had a Keurig go bad because you can't get a replacement IC for it, for less than a whole new unit costs. Good grief.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
How much did you pay for the car?
$2700.
Kelly Blue Book says it's worth $8550 in a private sale. Obviously a lot more on a used car lot, like, over $10,000.
I have about $600 in parts invested, and weeks of washing the dog smell out of it, finding what doesn't work, and fixing what I care about.
It doesn't have an automatic rear view mirror or a moon roof that works, but it has dual air conditioning, new front suspension, new brakes, and NO LEAKS!!!
The transmission drain plug does not have a drop of fluid constantly hanging from it. The coolant doesn't leak anywhere. The leak in the windshield wiper cowling no longer lets rain in on the top of the engine. All the locks and windows work. You can start it with a $3 ignition key which also fits the doors. The insurance is $40 a year LESS for a 2005 Ford Explorer than the same coverage on my 1996 Aerostar. And it looks like a SWAT team might jump out of the rear doors at any minute.:eek:

And, yes, I have the hub caps, but I'm not going to put them back on until I get the new tires installed.

Attachments

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
That's not a bad price.All that matters is for it to be in mechanically good shape,the rest of the "commodities" can be fixed easy.;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
All that matters is for it to be in mechanically good shape,
The engine has had its factory foul-up timing chain replaced and the transmission is 25,000 miles old. I rebuilt the front suspension, brakes, and air conditioning, so you know they're as good as new. There never was anything wrong with the steering, but it's gonna need an alignment for all those parts I installed. There are no error codes for the engine or transmission, just a butt load of useless accessories that don't work, and about which I don't care.

ps, Just got my new left foot!:)
This used to be a one phone call finagle and I had the part in about 10 days. This time it took 6 phone calls, 101 days, and 4 "show up in person" appointments. Then I had to take it home and install it myself because the State Certified Prosthetist couldn't figure out to put a lock washer on the bolt.:confused:
Anyway, all's well that ends well. I can now quit walking around like a pirate on a peg leg!:p
Then I can get in my new used car and cruise around with the dual air on, looking like a secret police vehicle.:D
With 5 of the seats removed, I can haul sheets of plywood or lumber up to 10 feet long...on the inside!

This, "car" is huge. 5300 pounds, and I think most of it is in the frame. I can't believe I jacked up the left rear and the right rear lifted off the ground. Then I jacked up the right rear and the right front lifted up off the ground! Holey Smoke! This thing is like a solid steel platform, and oh, by the way, there is a car body on top of it. The best part? If I hit a KIA, the KIA will bounce off me like a billiard ball.:D

Yeah, still don't have that ceiling pod installed.:(

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
$2700.
Kelly Blue Book says it's worth $8550 in a private sale. Obviously a lot more on a used car lot, like, over $10,000.
I have about $600 in parts invested, and weeks of washing the dog smell out of it, finding what doesn't work, and fixing what I care about.
It doesn't have an automatic rear view mirror or a moon roof that works, but it has dual air conditioning, new front suspension, new brakes, and NO LEAKS!!!
The transmission drain plug does not have a drop of fluid constantly hanging from it. The coolant doesn't leak anywhere. The leak in the windshield wiper cowling no longer lets rain in on the top of the engine. All the locks and windows work. You can start it with a $3 ignition key which also fits the doors. The insurance is $40 a year LESS for a 2005 Ford Explorer than the same coverage on my 1996 Aerostar. And it looks like a SWAT team might jump out of the rear doors at any minute.:eek:

And, yes, I have the hub caps, but I'm not going to put them back on until I get the new tires installed.
1996 Windstar to 2005 Explorer is quite an upgrade. Your neighbors will think you hit the lottery.

Lower insurance? - because you are less likely to die or get seriously injured in a modern car (more air bags to protect you) - especially if you have the model with side curtain airbags -( forth character in VIN number is a D) - it was an option on Fords in those years.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Lower insurance? - because you are less likely to die or get seriously injured in a modern car (more air bags to protect you)
Same air bags, anti-lock brakes, passive restraints, and insurance coverage as the Aerostar. Nothing changed at the insurance office except the VIN number, just the Aerostar isn't worth 5% of what the Explorer is worth, so the pay-off will be a lot bigger if I wreck it. For that, I get a refund.:confused:

However, I must admit that most small cars will bounce off it like bullets bounce off Superman.:)

Last edited: