Guitar pickup winder: wiring diagram help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Rawthought, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Rawthought

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Hi all,

I am new to this forum and for all intents and purposes new to wiring and circuit design, so please be patient with me ;-)

I build electric guitars in my spare time, the journey has taken me from learning woodworking, metalworking, finishing and basic electronics. I am building a pickup winder to wind guitar pickups myself (natch); I am basing my winder design on various winders I've seen on the guitar forums I use. I have all the parts and have constructed the unit it's housed in, my next challenge is wiring it up - this is where I could do with the help of circuit experts!

I apologise in advance if this is post is convulated...

Here's a pic of the built winder:
    IMG_3771.jpg IMG_3773.jpg

It's comprised of:
    - Aluminium enclosure
    - Iluminated SPST on/off power switch
    - 12V 1000rpm DC Motor
    - 8-32V reversible motor speed controller (3A) (potentiometer for speed adjustment and switch for reversing contained)
    - 8-24V digital counter (30mA) + 5-24V Hall sensor (200mA)
    - 2 x 3V Momentary Switch, White LED (20mA?)
    - 1 x 2V Momentary Switch, Red LED (20mA?)

The unit will be powered by a plugin 12V power supply (1A maybe?)

In a nutshell, the unit is designed to run a motor at adjustable speeds and a switch to reverse the direction. There is a hall sensor to count the number of turns the motor makes with 3 buttons to reset the counter and increase or decrease the count.

So in my head this shouldn't be too complex to wire up... but my head has a lot to learn!

I've drawn this diagram up in the hope that:

a) it will be easily understood (I've never drawn a diagram before!)

b) someone may be able to tell me if it will work

c) If not, advise how to amend the diagram so it does.

WINDER_WiringDiagram.jpg

I've a thick skin so if It's completely wrong please tell me!

Thanks

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Welcome to AAC!
    I'm puzzled as to why you would want to reverse a coil-winder?

3. Rawthought

Jan 20, 2019
    Hey, thanks for the warm welcome.

A problem with pickups in guitars is that they pickup background hum from electronic sources like mains power (60 cycle hum) and fluroescent bulbs among others. A tactic to cancel this 'hum' with 2 pickup guitars (or humbucking pickups) is to wind one pickup in one direction with there magnet polarity running in one direction, and for the other pickup to to be wound in the opposite direction with the magnetic pole reversed also - the sum of the resulting voltage cancels out any unwanted hum... this article explains it far better than me!

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what-are-rwrp-pickups/

4. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Ah, didn't realise you were winding humbuckers.
    Where's the power supply?
    Is your "12V DC motor" actually meant to be the power supply? I assumed the "M" at the bottom of the pic was the motor.

Rawthought likes this.
  5. Rawthought

Jan 20, 2019
    Well not humbuckers exactly but two single coil pickups (neck pickup and bridge pickup) that when run in series will have the same effect.

Yeh apologies, that was supposed to say 12V DC supply or similar, I;ve update the diagram here

WINDER_WiringDiagram.jpg

6. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Couldn't you wind them in the same direction but just swap their connection polarity?