Grid tied solar inverter turn on circuit

alpha6

Joined Aug 1, 2020
I have a used Grid Tied 5 KW type solar inverter I want to use in a remote area on a solar array. I understand it shuts down when it doesn't see the grid voltage/60hz signal. Is there some way to activate the inverter with out the grid signal. I don't have an extra $1000 plus for a true off grid inverter. I've thought of a couple of ways but I was told the solar array/inverter would fry anything I connected to the inverter to simulate the grid signal. I'm not familiar enough with AC as related to grid interconnect loads and impedance to prevent this if true.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... It seems like the only way that a remote inverter like yours can be activated is to tap in to the internal circuitry and create an artificial signal or pulse. However, doing this would require a circuit diagram, and some basic knowledge of its operation.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
What many people don’t realise about feed-in inverters is that their frequency must track the grid mains frequency exactly; otherwise they would soon be completely out of phase with disastrous consequences.

I suggest you try a low power mains inverter as the feed-in mains supply (which the inverter will track), but be advised that this inverter must be on all the time your solar inverter is working, otherwise it will detect the loss of supply and switch off.

You could consider adding an impedance at the output of the low cost inverter to limit any power feed from your solar inverter. You could start with a high impedance (of a k ohm or so) to see if it will fool the inverter to thinking it is connected to the grid.

alpha6

Joined Aug 1, 2020
... It seems like the only way that a remote inverter like yours can be activated is to tap in to the internal circuitry and create an artificial signal or pulse. However, doing this would require a circuit diagram, and some basic knowledge of its operation.
I've searched for a schematic, but I've been unable to locate one for this unit. (Sunny Boy 5000)

alpha6

Joined Aug 1, 2020
What many people don’t realise about feed-in inverters is that their frequency must track the grid mains frequency exactly; otherwise they would soon be completely out of phase with disastrous consequences.

I suggest you try a low power mains inverter as the feed-in mains supply (which the inverter will track), but be advised that this inverter must be on all the time your solar inverter is working, otherwise it will detect the loss of supply and switch off.

You could consider adding an impedance at the output of the low cost inverter to limit any power feed from your solar inverter. You could start with a high impedance (of a k ohm or so) to see if it will fool the inverter to thinking it is connected to the grid.
I have consider doing something very similar. I was advised the solar inverter would try to feed back into the enabling unit as if were the grid. Thereby possibly burning out the enabling unit.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
That is why I suggested putting an impedance between the low power inverter (acting as the grid mains supply) and the solar inverter.