Good value for a bench multimeter?

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Well many thanks for this info, I will check the firmware and I think the scope also has slightly old firmware, I got about two years ago and just tinkered with it really, I'm always cautious about firmware updates that I don't "need" yet too, but I guess these are pretty safe to do.
Safe as houses. Done 100's as we update as necessary every unit we sell.
The DMM has a recent important update to resolve the NAND memory issues these occasionally have. The X-E updates fix some little bugs and add some valuable new features.
Just be sure your mains power is stable (no thunderstorms etc) and use a max 16GB (preferably 8 GB) USB stick.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Safe as houses. Done 100's as we update as necessary every unit we sell.
The DMM has a recent important update to resolve the NAND memory issues these occasionally have. The X-E updates fix some little bugs and add some valuable new features.
Just be sure your mains power is stable (no thunderstorms etc) and use a max 16GB (preferably 8 GB) USB stick.
Yes our power is mostly good here in Arizona but not as robust as in the UK where I used to live. I do have a UPS for powering my desktop PC and monitors so I may just take the precaution of plugging in there just in case.

Thanks

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Not sure which scope you have but when I did the software update for my Siglent 100MHz SDS 1102CML+ it magically became a 300MHz scope. Thier updates are nothing like a typical software update full of things you have no use for.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Not sure which scope you have but when I did the software update for my Siglent 100MHz SDS 1102CML+ it magically became a 300MHz scope. Thier updates are nothing like a typical software update full of things you have no use for.
ApacheKid
Said he had a 4ch 200 MHz model in reply #15. Possibly it was a SDS1104X-E and he's hacked it to the 200 MHz model.....many do.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I unpacked the second DVM (identical model) and find that they differ by about 0.3 to 0.2 mV on the 20 V range when both are connected to the PSU set to 7.60 V with the DVM's set to "slow" mode.

Typically one reads 7.6000 and the other 7.5998, naturally there are tiny occasional fluctuations in the last digit from time to time.

This is after being switched on for around 45 mins.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
Also I am wondering why they didn't include a rotary "fine" adjust in the PSU too. That way I could set a voltage that reads some exact figure on my DVM.

So like if I set the PSU to 9.00 V, but on my DVM I see "8.9988" for example, I could adjust the PSU manually to see "9.0000" on the DVM, of course the PSU having less resolution would continue to show 9.00.

Just seems odd that this wasn't done.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
An aside, @ApacheKid, if you use the EasyPower software, you can make millivolt changes to the output of the supply using the UI or commands which can't be done from the front panel. Also, the latest firmware allow OCP mode by long pressing the → key.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Also I am wondering why they didn't include a rotary "fine" adjust in the PSU too. That way I could set a voltage that reads some exact figure on my DVM.

So like if I set the PSU to 9.00 V, but on my DVM I see "8.9988" for example, I could adjust the PSU manually to see "9.0000" on the DVM, of course the PSU having less resolution would continue to show 9.00.

Just seems odd that this wasn't done.
There are adjustment procedures for both SDM bench meters and SPD3303X-E if you need venture down this rabbit hole from needing LSD's to match.
However probably for now you would be well advised to just use them and let them age and stabilize for at least a few months then give me a nudge and I'll provide links to the latest procedures but these things are best not dived into without known and quality references on hand.