Glass capacitor replacement

big10p

Joined May 25, 2013
Hi.

I'm fixing a Vectrex games console from the 80's, and need to replace the cap at C405 in the pic, which is the same as the one at C406. It's a multilayer ceramic capacitor 0.1uF + 20 % 50v, according to the parts list. This cap sits under a large heatsink (that attaches to the missing IC407 in the pic), so assume it'll need a fairly high operating temperature tolerance?

I'm struggling to find a replacement anywhere. Is this because this type of capacitor is now obsolete? If so, what would be a suitable replacement? Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Axial Leaded Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors
100 nanofarads 0.1 microfarad 104 if you notice they are all 104s independent of where they're located
There are general purpose glass passivated capacitors you can also see glass passivated diodes 1448 I believe logic diodes fast switching diodes it doesn't matter in this case. Manufacturers buy these components in lots of hundreds of thousands tape and real. For component pick & place machines. Just make sure you meet or exceed the DC working voltage which in your case is 50 volts and you'll be okay axial leads @Yaakov you beat me by 3 seconds אוי ויי. Oy vey. :D

big10p

Joined May 25, 2013
Thanks for the info. The link doesn't seem to work for me, unfortunately. So, as long as I use one of the same spec it'll be ok, even if it's not a glass one? I was just wondering if it needed to be a glass one to work in the relatively high temperature under the heatsink.