Gigapixels of Andromeda

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
And if you liked that previous one... check this other one:[/MEDIA]
Nice video. I'd like to see the camera setup they used. Notice there is pan/tilt/zoom synchronized with many of the time lapse sequences. This all would have to be pre-programmed prior to shooting a sequence.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Nice video. I'd like to see the camera setup they used. Notice there is pan/tilt/zoom synchronized with many of the time lapse sequences. This all would have to be pre-programmed prior to shooting a sequence.
Yeah... it's A LOT of work indeed... I was transfixed by the music...

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Yeah... it's A LOT of work indeed... I was transfixed by the music...
I thought the music was distracting.

This brings up a good point: I notice most people require background noise, whether it be radio, tv, ipod via earbuds. I like all the noise I hear to come from inside my head. Am I weird?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

This brings up a good point: I notice most people require background noise, whether it be radio, tv, ipod via earbuds. I like all the noise I hear to come from inside my head. Am I weird?
If you're poor, then yes... you are weird... if you are middle class then you're eccentric... and if you're rich you're definitely unique...
pick your choice :D

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Now I get it... you mean you like silence when you work or when you perform certain activities? I'm the same way, I don't listen to music while I program, but I do while I'm drawing technical plans. The first activity is creative, while the other is more mechanic... I also don't like music while I drive... it distracts me too much.
But I love music, and when I listen to it I give it my undivided attention... in fact I've been playing the guitar since I was 6

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Am I weird?
Aren't we all?

The thing about background music is that not everyone in the audience shares similar preferences. One person's opera is another person's torture. Music in movies is very carefully chosen for effect and popular appeal, and rarely goes on for long. Otherwise, it creeps from the background into the foreground as a distraction.

Whoa, the music for that second video is way better!

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That, my friend, is because music is an emotional experience...
I disagree. I don't mind conveying emotion with music and I think when it is done very well almost all of us respond in similar ways. Minor chords are minor chords to all of us. Creepy scary music is creepy and scary to everyone.

What I personally despise is electronic, computer, synthesized music -especially with a pounding dance beat. I find it devoid of emotion, actually. Just a repetitive machine. I enjoy almost any real music - music made by humans with wooden and metal instruments.

People like music that is at once familiar but also new. Synth will never feel familiar to me.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I disagree. I don't mind conveying emotion with music and I think when it is done very well almost all of us respond in similar ways. Minor chords are minor chords to all of us. Creepy scary music is creepy and scary to everyone.

What I personally despise is electronic, computer, synthesized music -especially with a pounding dance beat. I find it devoid of emotion, actually. Just a repetitive machine. I enjoy almost any real music - music made by humans with wooden and metal instruments.

People like music that is at once familiar but also new. Synth will never feel familiar to me.
Can't argue with that... you have your preferences, and I respect them. I like all types of music, even electronic, synth, etc... except the monotonous type, as you say... and I also share with you the fact that natural instrumentation has a very special place in the human psyche... But, to me at least, the thing that makes music an individual experience, is that it all depends on association... although I admit that it's also a cultural phenomenon, like the soundtrack of an action or romantic movie... that's when collective association takes place.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
This is sad news, and really embarrassing for the team involved in that research. To make an announcement of that magnitude, and then having to backtrack on it must've dealt a blow to their careers...

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
This is sad news, and really embarrassing for the team involved in that research. To make an announcement of that magnitude, and then having to backtrack on it must've dealt a blow to their careers...
Excellent. Hard evidence of gravitational waves or cosmic inflation would easily falsify my own theory of the universe. I'm still standing.