general question- single line to ground fault

electric77

Joined Mar 18, 2016
so in general i have a system that consists of 5 buses, and at bus 2 i have a single line to ground fault.
what are the effects of adding a generator to any of the 5 buses except bus 2? (here all currents increase in the lines except for that where the current fault occurs my question is why?)
also what if i add an extra line from bus 2 to bus 4 where the fault occurs? (all all of my currents in all phases and buses drop why?)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
What is a bus? What are you generating? What did you drop?

Perhaps some context would help explain what you mean.

And welcome to the forums!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
so in general i have a system that consists of 5 buses, and at bus 2 i have a single line to ground fault.
what are the effects of adding a generator to any of the 5 buses except bus 2? (here all currents increase in the lines except for that where the current fault occurs my question is why?)
also what if i add an extra line from bus 2 to bus 4 where the fault occurs? (all all of my currents in all phases and buses drop why?)
Dude,
Are you talking about a microcircuit on a printed circuit board or switch-gear in a factory?

electric77

Joined Mar 18, 2016
so its a transmission system question:
a bus=node

in a transmission system we would transport power using a three-phase model (thus phase a, b, and c)
now with that we could have faults where a line gets short circuited or ground etc

my type of fault is single line to ground meaning phase a is grounded.

i have simulated by circuit on a program called power world and iam looking at the results, but i was hoping to get some certification for why my currents would drop in all nodes except the fault node when i add an extra generator

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
so its a transmission system question:
a bus=node

in a transmission system we would transport power using a three-phase model (thus phase a, b, and c)
now with that we could have faults where a line gets short circuited or ground etc

my type of fault is single line to ground meaning phase a is grounded.

i have simulated by circuit on a program called power world and iam looking at the results, but i was hoping to get some certification for why my currents would drop in all nodes except the fault node when i add an extra generator

I'm interested, Can you post the simulation results. Hopefully some type of graphic to show the standard case, (I imagine a standard 3-phase system (load may/may not be present). Then a fault-to-ground on "a", then you add additional generating power to one of the other two phases (and ground) (or across the other two phases) (or to all three phases?) - please clarify this fault and your additional generator.

And I assume the additional generator is in-phase with the initial power.