Funny experience at doctor

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
I am having a problem with muscle weakness in my right arm. Went to an orthopedic center yesterday, and they did a nerve conduction test. As a retired electronics technician, I spent 35 years trying to avoid electrical shock. Now here I was letting the doctor apply large potentials to my arm and shoulder. Doctor didn't quite understand why I was laughing....

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I am having a problem with muscle weakness in my right arm. Went to an orthopedic center yesterday, and they did a nerve conduction test. As a retired electronics technician, I spent 35 years trying to avoid electrical shock. Now here I was letting the doctor apply large potentials to my arm and shoulder. Doctor didn't quite understand why I was laughing....
How high was the voltage applied to your arm? Was it uncomfortable?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
A quick Google shows 250 microvolts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sensory_neurography_median_nerve_example.png
The last time I checked, that was not a large potential.

But I do know about the anxiety. My first job involved 30KV. Forty years later, I will come completely out of the attic if you snap a clothes pin while I'm working on your air conditioner.
I've had to work with that potential level before, assembling neon signs ... the power supplies can vary between 12 to 30 kV ... always gave me the heebie-jeebies when I was near them

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Don't know the exact potential, but it was a surface contact and made my muscles jump significantly. Second test used a needle and actually listened to/recorded impulses to the muscles.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I'd say that's a yes. It may not be called TENS, but that's the level you need to make your muscles jump, well over 50V at least with numbers over 100V not unusual.
I have played that game during physical therapy following shoulder surgeries. Actually it wasn't bad considering the exercises which really hurt. I called my physical therapist the Mistress of Pain. It was the only part of therapy where the machine did all the work. :)

Ron

I have had nerve conduction tests too. The current displayed on the screen was 99mA.

I guess the very short pulses make it reasonably safe. My TENS machine goes up to 70mA, the pulses are measured in microseconds.