Frustrating accessibility feature on Mac OSX -how do I disable it?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
This thing (below) keeps popping up and taking over scrolling while I scroll and I want it gone.
upload_2017-8-18_17-52-45.png
Does anybody know how to disable it or even know the name of it so I can search for a way to kill this nuisance for good?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello

The shown symbol occurs when pressing on the mousewheel
Look in the proporties for the mouse for mouseactions

Bertus

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I am not familiar with Macs.......but it's called a scroll lock. It might be adjusted under your mouse settings......or it could be in the particular app settings. I can turn mind on and off.......with the two top buttons on my kensington trackball.

Edit.....and it is a nuisance.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

An other place to look is the preferences of the browser.
In firefox there is in advanced preferences a tick possible for automatic scroll in the navigation section.

Bertus

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hola Dick, maybe you could make of it one useful tool for a more or less fast browsing of your documents. I use it when I need a fast visual search of something it is "somewhere" in a big document.

Prior trying to disable it, please verify this yourself: upward/downward scrolling direction AND the speed is simply related to the position of your pointer whether above/below that symbol and how much above/below.

I find it so simple that testing it would be my suggestion.

Pressing the wheel it comes. Pressing it again, it vanishes. Hope you will adopt it.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Atferrari, I like to scroll manually, searching up and down the page and I find this automatic scrolling to be fighting me rather than helping me.

I had been looking in the wrong place -as both Bertus and BR-549 mentioned it turns out to be in the browser -I had not considered that. I quickly found the Use autoscrolling checkbox and unchecked it. My life is much, much better now. Thank you all!

upload_2017-8-18_22-13-36.png