frequency analyzer or spectrum analyzer troubleshotting

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Linear amps are easy, frequency in frequency out, measure gain, no harmonics (distortion).

You're on your own for bad displays.

Linear Amps, see above.

Make sure the gain is where you expected it to be, you'll need to get used to thinking in DB of gain instead of multiplication.

relicmarks

Joined Oct 13, 2006
Linear amps are easy, frequency in frequency out, measure gain, no harmonics (distortion).

If your not getting the right frequency out What are some things you would see on the spectrum analyser?

What about for RF amps please?

What about for filters?

relicmarks

Joined Oct 13, 2006
Spectrum Analyzer Notes#2

1.) the harmonic frequencies and amplitudes are displayed
2.) amplifier's output noise on an oscilloscope basically measures just the total noise amplitude.On a spectrum analyzer, the noise as a function offrequency is displayed.
3.) Fast Fourier Transform or FFT.
4.) anti-aliasing filter at the input
5.) Heterodyning is the process of multiplying the
incoming signal by a sine wave.
6.) the time record is not a snapshot of the input signal. It is the output of the digital filter and the input to the FFT processor.
7.) Log Magnitude.The Log Mag display graphs the magnitude of the spectrum on a logarithmic scale using dBV as units.
8.) spectral components
9.) Third-order intermodulation (two tones of a complex signal modulating each other) can be particularly troublesome because the
distortion components can fall within the band of interest
10.) must test for emission levels versus frequency
11.) Spectral occupancy
12.) Two-tone test on SSB transmitter.
13.) Check for Conducted emmissions
14.) select any amplitude units (dBm, dBuV, dBmV, or volts) on either the log or the linear scale.
15.) to examine the components of a waveform
16.) Spectrum Analyzers can only measure the frequency of the response at powers as low as –100 dBm. These are the levels that are frequently seen in microwave receivers.
17.) discrete Fourier transform (or DFT)
18.) component characterization tests, test alignment of microwave and satellite antenna frequencies, intermodulation, how much bandwidth is occupied, checking power of adjacent channels, co-channel interference, and antenna isolation.
19.) Signal- to-noise ratio will measure how strong your signal is being transmitted and received compared to the level of noise present in the environment.
20.) The local oscillator sweeps between two frequencies over a specified span, SP, in a certain sweep time, ST.
21.) Video Smoothing
22.) Resolution bandwidth (RB) is defined as the width at which the filter response falls to 50% of its maximum

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Right, lets take a time-out here. What is the point of these lists?

This thread reads as though you are asking a question, then answering it yourself. Either clear things up, or this thread will be locked as being unproductive.

Dave

relicmarks

Joined Oct 13, 2006
sorry Dave

I was making a list of what a spectrum analyzer can do as far as testing and measuring

I was wondering if anyone can add to the list and give more examples from the list

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
sorry Dave

I was making a list of what a spectrum analyzer can do as far as testing and measuring

I was wondering if anyone can add to the list and give more examples from the list
Ok, thanks for at least clearing up what is being asked. I don't think there is a need to continually make the list over and over again, it only adds to confusion, and ultimately doesn't get you anywhere in trying to find your answers.

Dave