Free Energy question: Oscillations from switching series capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo Freeman

Joined Jun 16, 2017
Hello everyone, and Happy New Year.
I'm interested in free energy, but as yet I don't have the proper equipment to do any real testing. I was hoping somebody with a workbench could possibly try out this very simple experiment, and see if you get a current oscillating in a loop, just by opening and closing a switch, which takes little energy.

I got this idea from thinking about the (in)famous "Two Capacitor Paradox", where a charged capacitor C1 is connected to an uncharged target capacitor.

My circuit here is the same, except that the target capacitor, C(total) is actually made up of three capacitors in series; the two outer caps C0 are very large, while the inner cap Cm is tiny, maybe just a spark gap. If this inner capacitor is switched in and out of the series by a shunt switch, the total capacitance C(total) will vary from zero (with Cm in circuit) to very large (with Cm shorted). This variation in capacitance should affect C(total)'s charge carrying capacity, and so current should flow back and forth from the source capacitor C1.
If this oscillation can be repeated just by toggling the switch, then could free energy be conceivably drawn from the circuit?

Thanks in advance for any insights.Three_capacitor_paradox_steps.png

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
No, opening and closing a switch requires work, and the amount required will always be more than you get out of the system. Moreover, changes in electrical forces always have equal and opposite components which will further thwart any success in obtaining a "free lunch".

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
MOD NOTE: Thread closed due to ToS violation.

Topics such as over unity, perpetual motion, and free energy are prohibited by the site's owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.