A little off topic,Bill Gates wanted to take ships filled
with snow into the gulf of mexico to cool the warm water
of a hurricane.They may have tried this ,we want know
until some one leaks information.He was serious about this,
he had distractors.There are alot ships in what they call mothball
fleets that go nowhere,if any one has read any trade magizines
about this please add to this post. The metal ships could
expose a lot coldness to the center of a storm.Ships can
take hurricane winds and if slowed the storm so much the better.
Any comments or math on this,like i said he was very serious
about this project.
It doesn't take much math to show this idea has no chance to be effective. Old Bill may like to get around laws, but even he can't get around the laws of physics.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I guess this was a rather morbidly prophetic thread. My dad died from a heart attack while shoveling snow last week. He had 90 good years though, so I guess it was much better than watching him waste away in an ICU or nursing home, etc.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I am very sorry to hear about that. Mine passed away with one similar working on a van he was giving to his ex daughter in law. He was 72, and Mom had been gone for 1½ years (which contributed I'm sure).

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Not many people get to pass at home,that special.
Bless you and your family for great care you gave your
dad.Your deeds are an Inspritation to others to be good
family to the end. Too many people die alone in a
nurseing home.

Why does plastic cups split down the sides when they are
In the freezer for awhile.The Ice has to expand.
Because the strength of plastic is, essentially, not a constant when it is under stress. If the stress is high enough, it will either permanently stretch (plastic deformation) or fracture, but there is a time element involved. Yes, the water expanded when it froze from a liquid to a solid. Most of the expansion in the cup went upward, but there is still some radial stress. Keep that stress on the plastic long enough, and you get one of the above results. Besides, the sublimation that beenthere mentions occurs only at the ice/air interface, and only well after the water has frozen solid in the first place, so there is no reason to expect the ice to shrink radially in the cup.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The meduim duty red outdoor event type cup was in the freezer
for several months and the top of the ice was an awkward shape.
So time was a factor.So take the ocean temp and a square ship
how long would bill's ships last waiting a couple of days for a hurricane
x-10 ships.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Thatoneguy,There was very large Memorial around your post
about your Dad,they could not all get In at one time.

Last edited:
Snows weight is the reason I bought a snowplow..."Shovel No More" is the name of my plow.

Cheers, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
With the weight of that crap, there's gotta be a way to extract something from it, right?

Granted, any process would be more intermittent than wind power, but something along the lines of a self-powered, self-cleaning driveway would be fine by me.

Yes, I just got done shoveling about 2 tons of it, in 15-25 pound increments, thus giving time for thought on this topic. :(
I'd like to be able to get free energy from COLD! Endothermic engine, anyone?

:)

eric

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Snows weight is the reason I bought a snowplow..."Shovel No More" is the name of my plow.

Cheers, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]
Ok so then flash your fancy tractor for your envious neighbors to you hum something like
You load 16 tons and whaddaya get??
another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don'tcha call me 'Cause-
I can't go...I owe my soul to the tractor
Store:rolleyes:

Plowing snow and watching the woodpile go down are my two main winter-time activities, along with occasional forays onto the ice to fish.

Regards, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
In Dallas if we get 1/8" of ice people grip and moan, and won't go out on the roads. Those that do drive like fools. :rolleyes:

Of course, we also grip about 35°F weather in January and February, because of the occasional 72°F days we get.

If there is snow on the ground, any snow, kids get to stay home. Not because of safety, but because it is something wondrous and special that we don't want the kids to miss.