FPC/FFC Interconnects

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by supergandhi, Aug 5, 2014.

  1. supergandhi

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jul 22, 2014
    Howdy ho, people! I am currently working on a project which requires a rather unorthodox connection solution. I have an LCD display with an FPC which tapers down into a 40 position, 0.5mm pitch end. However, I have found out that it is not long enough to connect where I need it to go. I've purchased a FFC of the length required, but cannot get the contacts to mate well enough to conduct properly.

    I've searched brochures, forums, and websites high and low, yet somehow, I cannot find an interconnect which would allow me to attach the LCD cable to my FFC jumper. It seems like something which should exist; it isn't an overly-technical thing. Does anyone know where I can find such a device, and what its proper name would be?

    To reiterate, these are the specs to which it must adhere:

    40 position
    0.5mm pitch

  2. wayneh


    Sep 9, 2010
    I think you're going to need to be more precise. A picture might help. I, for one, have no idea what an FPC or FFC is
  3. supergandhi

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jul 22, 2014
    Ah, my bad. FPC = Flexible Printed Circuit, whereas FFC = Flat Flexible Cable, and will look something like the photos I've attached (FPC for the first, attached to the lcd screen: FFC, the second). FPC components are, literally, circuit boards you can "bend", to allow for cabling/fitting in tight spaces. As for the FFC, think about it as a wafer-thin ribbon cable; like a ribbon cable that got mashed by a steam roller.

    As far as the 40 positions and 0.5mm pitch, they refer to the number of "contacts" on the end of the cable, as well as the spacing (from the center of a contact, to the center of its neighbor) of contacts. Thus, a 40 position, 0.5mm pitch cable would have 40 contacts on the end, spaced 0.5mm apart.

    Anyway, what I'm wanting to do is find an interconnect which I could attach to the lcd on one end, and then to another FPC/FFC on the other end.

    If anyone's still confused, here's the closest analogue I can think of, to help visualize what I'm doing:

    Let's say I have a window-mounted AC unit, with a ludicrously short power cord. The only outlet available in the room, predictably, is on the opposite wall; much too far away for the power cord to reach. In fact, one extension cord will not suffice; two will be needed to allow the AC unit to plug into the wall outlet.

    So, I attach the first extension cord to the AC plug (ie, the interconnect), and then attach the second extension cord to the first (ie, the second FPC/FFC); thus allowing me to plug in my unit, crank the cold to 11, and enjoy a wintry solstice in August! :D

    Anyway, I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask me if you need any more info.
  4. joeyd999

    AAC Fanatic!

    Jun 6, 2011
  5. mcgyvr

    AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 15, 2009