Four-wire sensor setup

monk1

Joined Mar 18, 2018
Hi!
I have a sensors that are four-wired (a & b) that can talk over modbus rtu. It requires a supply of 6-36V DC. It is connected to the computer via a Usb/rs485 converter. The wires are white(sign/supply+), brown(sign/supply-), green(rs485), yellow(rs485) and a shield(gnd).
I want to add another sensor of the same type but not sure of how to wire these? Can I use a breadboard?
Thankful for all the help.

monk1

Joined Mar 18, 2018
I will end up using ten sensors of the same type, so I wont be able to add all the wires in the converter and I have to add a extern supply. The one sensor i use now is just powered by the computer.
I want the PC (master) to read the registers (same reg. for all the sensors) for the sensor value and send it back to log.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So you want to input 10 sensors to the PC?
So you need some kind of multiplexing arrangement for switching between each if only one PC port is used.
Max.

monk1

Joined Mar 18, 2018
Yes. They have individual IDs and I want to read the same reg. addresses. It is the wiring I need help with. Can I use a breadboard to do this?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I imagine you could if so wish to, once debugged I would be inclined to transfer to more permanent solution such as Vero Board etc.
Max.

monk1

Joined Mar 18, 2018
Its just for testing.
If someone can help me with a image of the wiring for a breadboard I would be very happy. Where to connect the powersupply? Should I use one ground - which one? Etc.