Foundation Of Luxury Condo Tower Sinking

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My guesses are:
1. Management that rushes workers.
2. Engineers that are not quite capable (maybe fresh out of school) and are rushed.
3. Defects in materials.
Yes, an intersection of all those things. I'd add the intentional cutting of corners. The kind of thing even a good engineer might do when pressured to not over-engineer, to cut it close with only a nominal safety factor instead of a "no way this is failing" factor. Overestimating our knowledge of mother nature is probably in the mix as well.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I suspect there are a lot more of these structurally deficient buildings all over the world and there are a few in San Francisco and Los Angeles - Both places that are prone to earthquakes. It will be a mess if another Northridge style earthquake hits right beneath a developed area.

glee952

Joined Feb 2, 2022
The foundation for the 54 floor luxury Millennium Tower in San Francisco has settled at least 16 inches and the building is also leaning 2 inches out of plumb.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/SF-s-landmark-tower-for-rich-and-famous-is-8896563.php

The same thing happened to the brand new 32 floor Ocean Tower condo on Padre Island in Texas and it finally had to be demolished.

I live a block over and I can see it from my apartment. It's leaning to the north, and to the west. To the west at least 2". And north like 12"

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I live a block over and I can see it from my apartment. It's leaning to the north, and to the west. To the west at least 2". And north like 12"
Yup, catistrophic. The lean angle is 0.0876° after 20 years. How long before it reaches its tipping point (assuming no foundation to hold it in place).
long after you're dead