Forum Horror Stories

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Of course we are talking about other forums.

Have you ever been to a forum that is a disaster? Sound like Andy Rooney. 'Have you ever...':)

The usual scenario is a little gang. You suspect they communicate behind the scenes.

It usually goes beyond 'hazing' the new guy.

It results in all that gets talked about is what 'they' want to talk about.

There is still one forum that I refuse to go on to this day.

Here's in a hint. It's not the PIC forum. It is a company forum.

Because of one crazed moderator.

What it cost me was it may have been a better micro to learn assembler on than the PIC.

Just because of one idiot.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Yes I have been through several over the years that were so bizarrely single point of discussion orientated to the level that bringing up correct logical scientific and engineering practices as a way to understand and thusly fix a problem would bring the trolls out like mad.

I went up against people who claimed toe be life long mechanical and electrical engineers and what not that failed every basic proof test in every way then went nuts if anyone proposed a solution that was superior to their nonsensical drivel.

Antique farm equipment forums and their members are some of the most closed minded set in their ways people you'll ever find online. :(

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Years ago I was on a forum whose owner was slowly going insane. It was... interesting. Eventually he was involuntarily committed, and the group scattered.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Years ago I was on a forum whose owner was slowly going insane. It was... interesting. Eventually he was involuntarily committed, and the group scattered.
The first forum I ever joined was a wind and RE energy one associated with the AWEA (American Wind Energy Association) about 10 - 12 or so years ago.

Bunch of delusional weirdos to say the least. The forum crashed and burned was reborn and crashed and burned at least twice before they gave up on it entirely. Very little rational wind and RE discussions ever took place.

PICNewbee

Joined Mar 31, 2017
TCMtech

'Antique farm equipment forums and their members are some of the most closed minded set'

My little Kohler 241 S 10 HP is one of the best engines ever made!

I can see how that happens.:)

I just had to watch a V8 engine of mine go bye bye.

That will never happen again!

You can take that to the bank!

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
the first forum I was on was run by a musician. It was actually quite good at the beginning. He was into politics and environment and discussions were actually very civil. He was the moderator. Eventually though it came out that there were a number of people that he favored and posts would be removed without any reason ither than he did not like them or viewed them as insulting either to him or his friends and their point of view. This was the point at which I left because he would let the select other attack people at will but would remove rebuttals... He was bipolar, so perhaps his medication changed or something...

Person to person discussions are much better, I am just back from spending 2 weeks in upstate NY. I had a chance to have some very interesting conversations with a diverse geoup of people, unmoderated. No one was hurt