Forrest M. Mims III

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
http://www.forrestmims.org/

He's the man who wrote the small booklets you used to find at Radio Shack when it really was the place to get electronic parts and supplies for hobbyists.

His site has good things to read. If you can find these books at your local radio shack I highly recommend them as well as 45. Getting Started in Electronics (Radio Shack, 1983).

While all of them are good. I'd love to find a full set of these.

51. Engineers's Mini-notebook: 555 Timer IC Projects (Siliconcepts, 1984).
52. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Op-amps (Radio Shack 1985).
53. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Optoelectronics (Radio Shack 1985).
54. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Basic Semiconductor Circuits (Radio Shack 1986).
55. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Digital Logic Circuits (Radio Shack 1985).
56. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Formulas, Tables & Basic Circuits (Radio Shack 1988).
57. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Schematic Symbols, Design and Testing (Radio Shack 1988).
58. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Communication Projects (Radio Shack 1985).
59. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Science Projects (Radio Shack 1990).
60. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Environmental Projects (Radio Shack 1995).

A knowledge of electronics provides endless opportunities in science, including for those of us who are amateur scientists.

This is why I'm looking for good science related electronics projects for THE CITIZEN SCIENTIST at www.sas.org/tcs. We can't pay anything, because TCS is a nonprofit, free online publication from the Society for Amateur Scientists (www.sas.org). If you're interested, please visit and see some of our hundreds of articles.

Regarding my Radio Shack books, Master Publishing has published my key Radio Shack books (www.forrestmims.com). You can also find them at E-Bay and used book stores.

BeeBop

Joined Apr 25, 2006
Hey Forrest,
Thanks so much for those little books; they made understanding easy for me when I was young! I'm glad they are still available, and will continue to recommend them to those starting out.
Robert

http://www.forrestmims.org/

He's the man who wrote the small booklets you used to find at Radio Shack when it really was the place to get electronic parts and supplies for hobbyists.

His site has good things to read. If you can find these books at your local radio shack I highly recommend them as well as 45. Getting Started in Electronics (Radio Shack, 1983).

While all of them are good. I'd love to find a full set of these.

51. Engineers's Mini-notebook: 555 Timer IC Projects (Siliconcepts, 1984).
52. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Op-amps (Radio Shack 1985).
53. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Optoelectronics (Radio Shack 1985).
54. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Basic Semiconductor Circuits (Radio Shack 1986).
55. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Digital Logic Circuits (Radio Shack 1985).
56. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Formulas, Tables & Basic Circuits (Radio Shack 1988).
57. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Schematic Symbols, Design and Testing (Radio Shack 1988).
58. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Communication Projects (Radio Shack 1985).
59. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Science Projects (Radio Shack 1990).
60. Engineer's Mini-notebook: Environmental Projects (Radio Shack 1995).
YES TOP BLOKE .i bought lots of his books but lost em. got 3 from a us ebayer . (opto circuits,basic semiconductors & science projects) as i like to remanise. anyone got the 555 timer circuits

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Me too, except those I "loaned" to a kid at a science fair (dumb, but for a good cause).

He's earned the old hand status here at AAC, along with a lot of (dare I say it?) affection. Good times with those books, when I was in high school.

S_lannan

Joined Jun 20, 2007
I still have the getting started in electronics book with all the interesting pictures of transistors and components with faces.

ad8bc

Joined Oct 30, 2008
Yup, "Getting Started in Electronics" got me started when I was about 12 years old. My favorite circuit is still the 555/7490/7448 (7447) counter!

Now I'm 33 and an Electrical Engineer, due in no small part to Mr. Mims who I have respected for many many years now.

A knowledge of electronics provides endless opportunities in science, including for those of us who are amateur scientists.

This is why I'm looking for good science related electronics projects for THE CITIZEN SCIENTIST at www.sas.org/tcs. We can't pay anything, because TCS is a nonprofit, free online publication from the Society for Amateur Scientists (www.sas.org). If you're interested, please visit and see some of our hundreds of articles.

Regarding my Radio Shack books, Master Publishing has published my key Radio Shack books (www.forrestmims.com). You can also find them at E-Bay and used book stores.
I am delighted to see that Forrest Mims has seen fit to join our group, and I highly recommend the books of this fellow Texan to anyone who is interested in the study of electronics.

Mike Mandaville

Austin, Texas

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!