For All Those Multicopter Builders

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Come to mention it and as a reminder to members who haven't registered with the FAA, it is now required that any drone/pilot be registered. The deadline was February 19, 2016. There are serious penalties associated with flying and not being registered and/or not having the registration number on your drone.

John

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I caught my grandson practicing his terrorist skills with his unlicensed UAV. I am glad I stopped him before the SWAT team broke in the door and hauled him away. I am sure he would not have given up with out a fight and made quite a mess, and his mom hates messes. He is 13 years old. :rolleyes:

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The limit is about 8 ounces. I guess that is based on the explosive force of so much erythritol-based explosive. Nevertheless, I have been flying RC since I was 9 years old, have never hurt anyone, nor tried to hurt anyone. The current version of the FAA regulations is silly. It will do nothing to stop terrorists and is less rational than the old pre-boarding question, "Are you carrying any bombs or explosives?"

But, it is still something we have to live with. As I understand it, the FAA has clarified that its regulation does not apply to models flown solely indoors. What a wonderful "exemption."

John

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I caught my grandson practicing his terrorist skills with his unlicensed UAV. I am glad I stopped him before the SWAT team broke in the door and hauled him away. I am sure he would not have given up with out a fight and made quite a mess, and his mom hates messes. He is 13 years old. :rolleyes:

No worries! -- Big Bro's not sweating UAS < 250 gm (gross airborne weight) ---- Yet!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Nope. The quadcopters are all made in China.

My my concern is that if you look at the technology that was demonstrated -- pilotless small drones performing precision maneuvers virtually autonomously -- are the current rules going to be effective against a swarm of >>100 drones loaded with explosives, Sarin, or whatever bioweapon the terrorists devise?

Model aircraft of all types have been a big (and sometimes therapeutic) part of my life since I was 4 years old. I am not suggesting more stringent FAA regulations. I am suggesting that the FAA and Homeland Security need to consider what might happen regardless of their silly regulations. Is a terrorist going to get an FAA drone pilot license? My license is FA3xxxxxxx . Maybe terrorists will have licenses with dash T's? ;) The fact that some general services employee comes up with regulations doesn't mean the regulations will work as intended.

John

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Nope. The quadcopters are all made in China.

My my concern is that if you look at the technology that was demonstrated -- pilotless small drones performing precision maneuvers virtually autonomously -- are the current rules going to be effective against a swarm of >>100 drones loaded with explosives, Sarin, or whatever bioweapon the terrorists devise?

Model aircraft of all types have been a big (and sometimes therapeutic) part of my life since I was 4 years old. I am not suggesting more stringent FAA regulations. I am suggesting that the FAA and Homeland Security need to consider what might happen regardless of their silly regulations. Is a terrorist going to get an FAA drone pilot license? My license is FA3xxxxxxx . Maybe terrorists will have licenses with dash T's? ;) The fact that some general services employee comes up with regulations doesn't mean the regulations will work as intended.

John
You wouldn't even need explosives. Just have them drop chaf into an electrical grid or drop some kind of bio hazard into a reservoir.

Keep it really simple and fly small swarms into traffic during rush hour or into the flight paths of airplanes. Or you could equip them with low power lasers to disrupt air travel.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I was reluctant to give many examples for fear I would see a bunch of black SUV's in my driveway. We live in a different world. When I was in college (circa 1960's), there was a whole locker cabinet full of ricin in the hallway of the chemistry department. The university had many military contracts, and the ricin was used in some of those. Of course, officially, the US did not do CBW research. Most people today can't imagine that situation.

John