FM tuner does not work on car stereo

guyrat7

Joined Nov 7, 2017
Hi all,

Hope I am on the correct forum to post this.

I recently acquired a pioneer car stereo to add into a VW. Everything else works but the FM tuner did not display any bands. Even if I reset the headunit, nothing appears. The display does not even show FM / AM touch screen buttons.. Thinking that it might be an issue with the Antenna conversion from the VW's system to ISO, I bought a DAB antenna as the stereo had the DAB+ option.

When I wired the DAB and tried looking for stations, I encountered similar error: does not search and says no signal.

The pioneer unit I am referring to is AVH x3500dab.

I gathered the tuner circuit might be at fault. Would you know what might fail in the tuner to have this outcome? I would like to have an understanding about this before I take it to a repairer.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Guy

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If you can try an ordinary car antenna in the base unit,these usually have the Banana type Pc527 plug, and see if you get FM 88-108Mhz.

dab antennas have the F connector,as its for a higher frequency of 175_240Mhz, you can pick up Dab on an ordinary antenna, but some distance stations are weak.

Failing that it's the radio tuners.

Pioneer service backup here....

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/avh-x3500dab/support

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If it doesn't search and doesn't show the expected touch screen buttons then it sounds more like it is the control system for the tuner thst is st fault rather than the tuner itself.