FM transmitter based on bipolar 2N3904 transistor

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
L1 and C2+C3 form an LC circuit that will "ring" at a characteristic frequency when perturbed. Any current flowing across the transistor causes a perturbance to start ringing and affects the frequency of ringing.

I don't see how the carrier frequency could be present without an audio signal, so it's not much of a transmitter.

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
This oscillator circuit. The oscillator frequency is determined by all capacities. Including the parasitic capacitance of the transistor. These non-linear capacity and depend on the DC transistor mode. Audio signal mode changes the transistor and thereby modulates the frequency (and amplitude) of the generator.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
C2 provides positive feedback around the transistor and this causes oscillations at the RF frequency.
How does the feedback get to the base of the transistor? I'm not arguing – I'm befuddled by anything RF. Would the circuit oscillate if the transistor were replaced by a fixed resistor?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

What is the transition frequency of this transistor? I dont think it is very high, maybe 200MHz. At 100MHz you wont have much gain left. It might work to some degree but the transmission power will be very low.
To do better, get a transistor that is actually made for RF work. They go up much higher in frequency so there is more gain left when you are working at 100MHz. I dont remember the part numbers but you can look one up or else i'll take a look myself.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
How does the feedback get to the base of the transistor? I'm not arguing – I'm befuddled by anything RF. Would the circuit oscillate if the transistor were replaced by a fixed resistor?
It doesn't. The feedback is from the collector to the emitter. It is a common configuration of colpitts oscillator - common base.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
No. No one can. You would have to understand how simple oscillators work.........before you can understand this one.

And if you are in a class that expects you to answer this...........you need to take basic classes before this one.

You can't jump over a mountain, you have to climb it.