FM Antenna how to wire

Pudge

Joined Dec 1, 2023
I have two of these dipole . There is 1 cm gap between two end of pipes , near the screw. Could some one help me to wire these two antenna or just one because only few stations in FM band receive good signal . Approx length of antenna 60cms , pipe bend at 5cm width . Also I use xhdata d-219 receiver . It's good for price and signal.

Thanks

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The xhdata d-219 receiver does not seem to have an antenna input connector.
Where do you intend to connect the antenna?

Pudge

Joined Dec 1, 2023
The xhdata d-219 receiver does not seem to have an antenna input connector.
Where do you intend to connect the antenna?
Using one end to the external antenna with alegator clip and other to any ground . Just bought few days back and saw few videos in YouTube using antenna for better reception. I bought two of those antenna but can't figure the wiring properly . Every time I try few stations are good other bad . With no antenna few other stations are good .

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Using one end to the external antenna with alegator clip and other to any ground . Just bought few days back and saw few videos in YouTube using antenna for better reception. I bought two of those antenna but can't figure the wiring properly . Every time I try few stations are good other bad . With no antenna few other stations are good .
No wonder it's not working, it's the wrong type of antenna for that type of radio. Your radio expects to see a vertical dipole type input. Maybe a Balun will work better if you can also connect the balun ground terminal to the radio's internal case/RF ground plane and the external antenna to the low impedance 75 ohm side side.

1701452102155.png

Pudge

Joined Dec 1, 2023
No wonder it's not working, it's the wrong type of antenna for that type of radio. Your radio expects to see a vertical dipole type input. Maybe a Balun will work better if you can also connect the balun ground terminal to the radio's internal case/RF ground plane and the external antenna to the low impedance 75 ohm side side.

View attachment 308840
So should I buy some thing like XHDATA D-109 , for external antenna ?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
So should I buy some thing like XHDATA D-109 , for external antenna ?

Do some searching for XHDATA D-109 with external antenna. It seems to have a overload problem that usually means bad RF agc control on a cheap radio chip. YMMV with the antenna, placement and other issues.

Pudge

Joined Dec 1, 2023
Do some searching for XHDATA D-109 with external antenna. It seems to have a overload problem that usually means bad RF agc control on a cheap radio chip. YMMV with the antenna, placement and other issues.
Could u suggest any good fm receiver that works with the antenna I bought .

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Could u suggest any good fm receiver that works with the antenna I bought .
Don't know your budget , radio and site requirements so I can't. The D-109 seem ok for weak signal conditions but the RF frontend seems to be poor in terms of selectively and gain control.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you really want to improve your FM reception, then you need to mount an antenna in your attic or on your roof.
You can use a directional antenna (with a rotor if the stations are from more than one direction) for maximum sensitivity, or an omni-directional circular type with lesser sensitivity.
If it's balanced 300 ohm, then you would need the 300 to 75 balun to connect to the whip antenna.

Pudge

Joined Dec 1, 2023
If you really want to improve your FM reception, then you need to mount an antenna in your attic or on your roof.
You can use a directional antenna (with a rotor if the stations are from more than one direction) for maximum sensitivity, or an omni-directional circular type with lesser sensitivity.
If it's balanced 300 ohm, then you would need the 300 to 75 balun to connect to the whip antenna.
Thanks for tip. I found these in internet , will try to replicate it this month.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have two of these dipole . There is 1 cm gap between two end of pipes , near the screw. Could some one help me to wire these two antenna or just one because only few stations in FM band receive good signal . Approx length of antenna 60cms , pipe bend at 5cm width . Also I use xhdata d-219 receiver . It's good for price and signal.

Thanks
This is another case of the TS asking us how to make the solution they have selected work. What I see is an added "F" connector. So the way to connect is to insert the bare end of one of the antenna wires into the center opening of that connector,,
That is not the intended use but it will provide better reception than you have now, without an antenna. But it will not help much because it appears that the wire to the FM antenna connection terminal is not connected at all, on the other end. The appearance is that one who knows nothing about radios at all but is able to solder has worked on the radio.

Last edited:

Pudge

Joined Dec 1, 2023
I bought that 300 ohm to 75 ohm converter . Also bought a fm booster with a analog radio receiver. Will test this weekend . :)

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What is not clear is if the center conductor of the coaxial cable is actually connected to the center connection of that"F" connector. If it is connected then there can be an improvement quite a bit. Presently the appearance is that the red wire from the connection of the internal telescoping antenna is connected to the center of the "F" connector, while the center conductor of the cable going to the "FM Ant" connection on the PCB is not connected. That red wire is providing no benefit and should be disconnected from the "F" connector. Hopefully the TS has good soldering skills