Flourescent light bulbs

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"This is really a stupid thing, as it does not entice people to do the right thing. I've so far disposed of a storage building, a fence, a room full of crap that was left at my house, and several pieces of large furniture, piece by piece, in my regular biweekly trash can pickup, courtesy of the sawzall."
`

Agreed.
I did that quite often when I lived in the city. Can't beat a Sawzall for those items.
Out in the boonies, I usually burn everything.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In my very limited experience, the dumps here are not very accommodating.
I tried that once. They said that I couldn't dump 2 computers and a CRT monitor because that number of devices proves I'm running a business, and businesses don't qualify for recycling.:mad:

Ve haf vays of dealing mit dis.:rolleyes:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Out in the boonies, I usually burn everything.
That's always been my approach! I have yet to find anything that a good hot tire fire followed by some dozer or backhoe work can't help get rid of. ;)

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
Near where I live, we have a hazardous materials recycling center that will take almost anything, no charge. Old lead-acid batteries, fluorescent bulbs, boxes of paint from the garage, used dry cells, bottles of mercury.

Not only that, but they keep a room stocked with all the recycled paint, solvents and cleaning chemicals that people have cleaned out of their garages, which is free to anyone wanting to take any of it home for their own use!

For once, local government does something right!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Not only that, but they keep a room stocked with all the recycled paint, solvents and cleaning chemicals that people have cleaned out of their garages, which is free to anyone wanting to take any of it home for their own use!

How does that work? You're in California?

Someone could take stuff with the intent for no good and possible environmental mischief and the government isn't getting any tax money off of it either. :rolleyes:

Now for more serious comment. Yea I wish more places had programs like that going. Anything that gets used for it's intended purpose doesn't go in the landfills solving two problems at once :)

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I remember watching a flim about a center in San Francisco which takes unsued paint, processes it and gives it away to folks who need it for painting their houses. They end up with some unusual colors, but people are happy with what they get. Looks like a very successful program!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Near where I live, we have a hazardous materials recycling center that will take almost anything, no charge. Old lead-acid batteries, fluorescent bulbs, boxes of paint from the garage, used dry cells, bottles of mercury.

Of course, these programs are far from free. In most cases, the amount of taxpayer dollars spent to run such programs is considerably more than it would cost if run by a profit-making company that charged a fee (and assuming that charging a fee had no effect on people's decisions to bring things there, which of course it would). That's just the nature of government -- cost efficiency very seldom ever wins out (but, as with everything, there are exceptions here and there).

Having said that, I don't have a problem with programs such as these, as long as the costs aren't too excessive. The benefit derived all around is worth the cost (again, as long as it isn't too excessive) and it is filling a niche that the private sector would have a hard time filling.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I only wish our local recycling/refuse centre would allow scavenging. One man's trash is another man's treasure. However, it's refused on 'elf 'n safety grounds (at least, that's the official reason; but perhaps the guys at the centre fancy the treasure!).

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Of course, these programs are far from free. In most cases, the amount of taxpayer dollars spent to run such programs is considerably more than it would cost if run by a profit-making company that charged a fee
The benefit to the community from this program goes far beyond the product that gets distributed to people who needs it. Cheaper isn't always better.

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
This post has gone on for too long anyway...but larger issue of disposal is still a sore point...most busy people just chuck them in the trash...what happens afterward is out of sight and mind. From 10 miles out on Lake Erie, the Lakeview landfill here is the highest thing visible on the southern horizon...and its getting higher everyday. I am a firm believer in money-for-bottles and cans and it should also be extended to bulbs...at least that may solve the ever burgeoning landfill issue. Congress should act.

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Reminds me of a cartoon I saw in the Rocky Mountain News oh, a quarter century or so ago It was a two-panel then-and-now cartoon. In the first panel the time was 1791 and you have a Congress that was drawn small and sedate while at the podium before Congress was "the public" drawn as a large and imposing figure speaking very forcefully and shaking his hand at Congress saying, "and Congress shall pass NO law ...." The second panel was 1991 and now Congress was drawn huge and imposing and at the tiny podium before it "the public" was this meek little figure standing hat-in-hand saying very quickly, "Could Congress please pass a law...."

The more things change....

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
What are you supposed to do with flourescent light bulbs when they stop working? It says: CONTAINS MERCURY-DISPOSE ACCORDING TO LOCAL, STATE OR FEDERAL LAWS. I cannot find a disposal site anywhere and I'm uncertain about how much mercury is contained and is it a health risk? Why is a hazardous substance like mercury used in their manufacture in the first place?

Cheers, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]
Now the latest word I'm getting is that the Mafia will not allow a Bottle Bill (or any other kind of recycling bill) to pass the state legislature...believe it or not folks. The states of Maine, Hawaii, Michigan, N.Y., Connecticut, Vermont, Iowa, Calif., Massachusetts & Oregon have Bottle Bills.

I remember years ago while fishing in the Allegheny river, a whole truckload of 8 ft flourescent tube came spilling down the bank over the guardrails...apparently this was the way many businesses got rid of old tubes.
Out of site...out of mind again.

Last edited:

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
Lowes does have a recycling center for fluorescent bulbs and batteries also. From what I have been reading, the real mercury hazard comes from the liberation of mercury vapors by burning; read coal. Afterwards, it ends up in our soil and waters by precipitation; rain mainly.

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]
Mercury vaporizes in the electric field set up in the tube. The vaporized mercury (UV) reacts with the phosphor coating inside the tube producing broad spectrum visible light. An external HF electric field can do the same thing externally, ie; Tesla Coil, Van de-Graff generator or HF medical device.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Mercury vaporizes in the electric field set up in the tube. The vaporized mercury then reacts with the phosphor coating inside the tube, producing light. An external HF electric field can do the same thing externally, ie; Tesla Coil, Van de-Graff generator or HF medical device.
The mercury does not react with the phosphor coating. The mercury vapor, when excited, emits ultraviolet radiation. These ultraviolet rays excite the phosphor which then radiate broad spectrum visible radiation.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
And the mercury is already a vapour inside the tube. The electric discharge ionises it, but it was already a vapour. :)

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I needed some glass tubes so drained the liquid Hg from 30 to 50 or more 8 ft tubes; turned in over a liquid oz to recycling- a 15 mi. drive.
ACE Hdw. also accepts CFLs- good source for parts.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the statement that gold is banned from gold mining is incorrect, most of the rest of the world still uses it.including countries that we get food from. ddt also.