First driverless fatality

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Even with all the negatives I'm still pro auto-drive technology as it will save lives.
Will it? Maybe. But consider that all of the projections that claim it will save lives are done by people that assume that the technology will work as envisioned and that there are no bad actors at play at all.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
If one has to keep monitoring and observing a car's auto-pilot at all times, then what's the point of having one in the first place?
In my case, I find it more tiring and demanding being forced to supervise something in which I am no longer allowed to participate ... it's far more relaxing to actually take control of the thing and guide it to wherever I want it to than seeing if it will actually comply with the instructions given to it.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Will it? Maybe. But consider that all of the projections that claim it will save lives are done by people that assume that the technology will work as envisioned and that there are no bad actors at play at all.
I see the main
I believe that Musk and Tesla took a shortcut that's is potentially dangerous and premature but great progress is being made in machine learning to handle driverless cars and threats to secure systems.

Things like this can also be used to break systems so it cuts both ways but security by obscurity seldom works.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/08/darpa-cgc-safety-protocol

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007