Finding the name of the IC

Abhinavrajan

Joined Aug 7, 2016
Hi, all.

I have a lot of ICs on my circuit board.
I only have the part marking on the IC. Nothing else.
How will I able to find what kind of IC or the name of the IC with only the part marking of the IC with me ?
The number of pins on each IC vary. There are 16pin IC, 14 pins,12pin,8 pins etc. Packages are different.
I have a PDF which will give me the name of the ICs which have 6 pins or less than 6 pins.

But,how can I find the name of the ICs that have more than 6 pins (considering that I have only the part marking of the IC) ?

Is there any other website,PDF which will give the name of the IC only with the part marking?
Any suggestions ?

Please help.
Thanks. :)

Abhinavrajan

Joined Aug 7, 2016
No, sir. It isn't that easy.

Part marking is a bit different from the part number of the IC.
Part marking includes the part number plus some additional information regarding the IC (includes the date of manufacture and the batch etc..).

We can't distinguish the part number from the part marking on IC.
If you can tell me to find a way distinguish the part number from the part marking, it would be helpful for me.
When I enter the part marking in google, sometimes, it doesn't return any results.

Abhinavrajan

Joined Aug 7, 2016
Is 'E38A' the only marking on the chip?
Yes. E3 8A or E38A. It's like E3 (on the first line) and 8A (on the second line). This IC has 8 pins.
I have tried various google searches and websites. No results.
Please help.
I have a few ICs similar to this where I have markings and the number of pins.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Hmmm...
I don't know. It may be either a custom programmed chip, or the manufacturer wanted to keep their secrets and so has custom marking to keep copiers guessing.