finding obsolete ICs?

veritas

Joined Feb 7, 2008
I actually happen to have a few 192's on hand.
NTE74192 - LOL! (after earlier bashing NTE for being so danged expensive) but hey, I bought 'em while I was cursing 'em ;)

How many do you need? Two? Three?
I would need to test them first, obviously.
I think I would just need two of those LS192's. That would actually be amazing, because with those BCD counters, I could use a tunable oscillator and eliminate my need for a multiplier entirely. What would you need for reimbursement for taking those off your hands?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
How does a buck each plus shipping sound? That's probably about what I paid for them (less shipping of course.)

Send me a PM or E-mail me about this.

veritas

Joined Feb 7, 2008
I just wanted to thank everybody for their responses and suggestions for my questions. This thread evolved from a longshot effort to find obsolete, expensive, and overly complicated IC solutions to helping me think of a different and much more simple solution to my problem.

@ SgtWookie: Thank you very much for the offer for the decade counters. I found an equivalent product from Texas Instruments (CD74HC390 if anyone is interested) that is still in production and commercially available. I was able to get some free samples and get a very affordable quote for a bulk cost that I needed in my design journal.

Also for anyone's reference if they are interested, I'll explain a little bit about the solution I decided on:
The overall idea is to measure distance using an NTSC video signal.
* My original idea was to:
- count the number of lines to measure in a single field of the video
- pass that to an 8-bit binary register,
- multiply by a conversion factor to go from lines to distance,
- pass that through a BCD conversion
- display the final output on some 7-segment LCDs.

*Instead, the flow now uses time instead of # of lines to measure
- Start and stop the timer at the edges of measurement
- Use a tunable oscillator's frequency to convert from time to distance
- Increment the BCD decade counters using the oscillator