Finding an smps transformer for a power supply

mz350

Joined Jun 10, 2021
Hi

I am interested in electronics as a hobby and I figured building a smps power supply is a good way to cement what i've learnt so far.
Problem is I cant seem to find any high frequency power transformer (1500 watts (or more) transformer if such a beast exists, 48, 24 or 12 V output). I've been searching and buying electronic components for a few years now but have never found it difficult to find then purchase any product until now.
Can you help ?

Best regards!

mz350

Joined Jun 10, 2021
Hello there .welcome to AAC!
:) I'm afraid I can only point you in the right direction couldn't find your specifications. 24 volt but only 1,000 Watts at $2,000 US
https://highfrequencytransformer.com/Standard Transformers.htm
thanks man!

Well okay ... 2000 is a bit difficult to swallow ;-) ;-)
Really i can sense a mistery around this, mosfets no problem, microcontrollers, capacitors, coils you name it but these transformers though ... Thanks anyway i'll keep looking or maybe dismantle a used one of these:

https://fr.banggood.com/3450W-Miner...QgOM2EsQJ9T3vFYIC3VgAkE5b8rxW0-0aAr4kEALw_wcB

Best regards!

RPLaJeunesse

Joined Jul 29, 2018
At the 1500 Watt level design errors can be quite expensive, not to mention dangerously explosive. Better you get some experience in a space more commonly seen, like the 150-250 watt supplies used in desktop PCs. And the parts you need can often be had from other's castoffs - the price is right!

mz350

Joined Jun 10, 2021
At the 1500 Watt level design errors can be quite expensive, not to mention dangerously explosive. Better you get some experience in a space more commonly seen, like the 150-250 watt supplies used in desktop PCs. And the parts you need can often be had from other's castoffs - the price is right!
Ok I'll try to find one from an old power supply.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Look up several Toroid manufacturers online, and give them a call.
They can make recommendations for a bare-Core if you know what it is that you want.
There are several that will wind custom Transformers as well.
The Phone call is free.

1500 Watts is going to weigh over 10-pounds in a DIY project,
because you don't have a research and testing Lab at your disposal,
so you have to be very conservative and build-in lots of over-kill.

mz350

Joined Jun 10, 2021
Look up several Toroid manufacturers online, and give them a call.
They can make recommendations for a bare-Core if you know what it is that you want.
There are several that will wind custom Transformers as well.
The Phone call is free.

1500 Watts is going to weigh over 10-pounds in a DIY project,
because you don't have a research and testing Lab at your disposal,
so you have to be very conservative and build-in lots of over-kill.
Thanks! I'll do that.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
There is another way, but it is cumbersome, and that use several transformers together. For example, you might want to drive all of the primaries in parallel and the the output from the secondaries in parallel. It should take about the same kilograms of core and copper but it is another approach.

RienM

Joined Jun 17, 2021
your design should also choose the switching frequency and what kind of switch mode circuit. Y can build your own transformer with ferite core and and coil former, and designing that part should be part of your design.

Do you want to use a flyback circuit, or a forward converter?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
There is another way, but it is cumbersome, and that use several transformers together. For example, you might want to drive all of the primaries in parallel and the the output from the secondaries in parallel. It should take about the same kilograms of core and copper but it is another approach.
You might also want to drive all the primaries separately. That way, you can use smaller MOSFETs, although you need more. pcb Tracks become more manageable, and if you are clever with the drive circuitry, you can cancel out the high-frequency ripple.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You might also want to drive all the primaries separately. That way, you can use smaller MOSFETs, although you need more. pcb Tracks become more manageable, and if you are clever with the drive circuitry, you can cancel out the high-frequency ripple.
Ooooohhh....the control loop for such a setup would make my mind hurt. :)

mz350

Joined Jun 10, 2021
your design should also choose the switching frequency and what kind of switch mode circuit. Y can build your own transformer with ferite core and and coil former, and designing that part should be part of your design.

Do you want to use a flyback circuit, or a forward converter?
Something that converts from mains to 5, 12, 24 or 48, forward converter I guess, flyback circuit is for "dc to dc" right ?