Finding a compatible capacitor for a computer motherboard

manortmar

Joined Jan 22, 2022
Hello everyone :)

I would like to ask you a question since I do not have much notions of electronics.

I have bought a computer motherboard with a poorly soldered capacitor. Although the seller has sent me a new one, I would like to know if it is possible to recover the defective one. The defective capacitor (as you can see in the photo) shows this printed information: 5KU17 - 560 - 4V.

1642849944361.png

What capacitor could I buy and where that would provide identical functionality to the motherboard?

The closest thing I've seen on the Internet is this (4V560UF):
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005...lo2esp&spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.54833c00aHpkOk&mp=1

Would it be compatible? Is it enough or should I attend to some additional specification?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Manuel

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I have bought a computer motherboard with a poorly soldered capacitor. Although the seller has sent me a new one, I would like to know if it is possible to recover the defective one. The defective capacitor (as you can see in the photo) shows this printed information: 5KU17 - 560 - 4V.
What makes you think the capacitor is defective?
1642894497710.png
Your picture doesn't have enough resolution to see how the leads are soldered, but it's sometimes difficult to remove them from motherboards due to large power planes for ground. I've been soldering for decades, and they sometimes give me trouble.

There aren't many components I'd buy from Ali Express. You should be able to get high quality parts from any distributor.

What is the lead spacing, diameter, and height?

manortmar

Joined Jan 22, 2022
Thanks for your reply Dennis.

Sorry, I made a mistake. I assumed that the condenser was the same as the one next to it but it wasn't. So the specification printed on the removed capacitor says: 5KU21 - 560 - 6.3VE

I show you below the information that you asked for:
1643448015815.jpeg

1643448058449.jpeg

1643448093456.jpeg

The current situation of the board is that the capacitor was removed and the pins kept soldered.

1643448365002.png

What is your advice? What would you do in this situation? The motherboard is brand new.

I really apreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Manuel

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The current situation of the board is that the capacitor was removed and the pins kept soldered.
Did you pull the pins from the cap? Or was that the way it came? Is the original cap a through hole part (vs surface mount)?

What is your advice? What would you do in this situation? The motherboard is brand new.
If the board is brand new, I'd ask for a warranty replacement. But, pulling the cap off may have voided any warranty.

manortmar

Joined Jan 22, 2022
I pull the cap off since I wasn't able to insert it again. Also I thought that even I would have been able to insert it, the capacitor pin connection was already broken inside.

I received a new motherboard from the warranty manufacturer. I'm just trying to repair this one (if that is possible).

Thanks,
Manuel

abrsvc

Joined Jun 16, 2018
This cap looks like a small through-hole cap rather than a surface mounted one, so replacement should be simple. Get the correct value and a similar size and install. Digikey or Mouser should have what you need. If necessary, a slightly higher voltage can be used.

manortmar

Joined Jan 22, 2022
Thank you all for your responses, I will follow your advice!

Just buy a 560uF 6.3V cap in the right package and tack it in place
Digikey or Mouser should have what you need
Should I attend any other specification than voltage, capacitance and dimensions? What does "5KU21" mean?

On the other hand, I have found it impossible to desolder and remove the old pins through the board holes. Can I superficially solder the pins of the new capacitor to the points where the old one originallly was (without the pins crossing the board)?

Best,
Manuel