Filtering poping/crackling noises recevied from connecting an audio deivce

programmer6502

Joined Feb 1, 2014
Hi,

I modded an older radio of mine for a 3.5mm stereo AUX input and it works great, but I have one question on how to improve it. Whenever I connect a device to the AUX input, the speakers will pop and make some crackling noises until the device fully connected. So my question is: how do you filter this, and without effecting the audio quality? I know it's common practice to filter such things (at least on factory professionally made radios) but I can't find the right keywords online to figure it out. Essentially, I just want everything to be silent until I start playing music!

Thanks!

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Though you might improve the crackling by using contact cleaner on the contacts in the plug and jack if the crackling is coming from a film or dirt on one connector of the other.

programmer6502

Joined Feb 1, 2014
Wow! Logged on this morning and the site is remodeled! Nice ;)

Anyway, that all makes sense. Do you guys know if newer radios automatically have the volume down until they see relevant audio signals or something since these are usually near silent (in my experience) when inputting something? This could go back to my contacts being dirty but I'm just curious.

Last edited:

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Modern head ends are controlled by a micro-controller chip; so all things (like auto muting) are possible.

Last edited: