Filter circuits

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019
What is the differences between the RC, LC and RLC filters?. When and where these filters will be used?. Please can you explained clearly?.

Thank you.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What is the differences between the RC, LC and RLC filters?. When and where these filters will be used?. Please can you explained clearly?.

Thank you.
RC filter uses a resistor and capacitor.
LC filter uses an inductor and capacitor.
RLC filter uses resistor, inductor and capacitor.

RC filter would be a first order low-pass or high-pass filter.
LC and RLC filter would be resonant, i.e. used for pass-band or stop-band filter.

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019
RLC could be a second-order low-pass or high-pass
Can you explain this RLC low pass filter?. Why we need to use this RLC loa pass filter, still we have another filters like RC and LC low pas filters?. When and where will be used?. What are the benfits of this when compare to RC and LC low pass filters?.

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019
RC filter uses a resistor and capacitor.
LC filter uses an inductor and capacitor.
RLC filter uses resistor, inductor and capacitor.

RC filter would be a first order low-pass or high-pass filter.
LC and RLC filter would be resonant, i.e. used for pass-band or stop-band filter.
This one I knew it. But I would like to know more?. Please can you my above post no.5?.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Can you explain this RLC low pass filter?. Why we need to use this RLC loa pass filter, still we have another filters like RC and LC low pas filters?. When and where will be used?. What are the benfits of this when compare to RC and LC low pass filters?.
The higher the order of the filter (equal to the number of reactive components) the faster the attenuation in the transition band which is the range of frequencies between the passband and the stopband.