FET as VVR

SSij

Joined Oct 27, 2014
How does FET work as Voltage Variable Resistor?
I would also like to know about working of Automatic Gain Control(AGC).
Is there any other application of FET which uses its ohmic characteristic region?

Thank you.

SSij

Joined Oct 27, 2014
I am also confused with the conventional current flow direction in FET . Please help me

blah2222

Joined May 3, 2010
A quick Google search led me to this article that does a great job answering your questions: http://www.vishay.com/docs/70598/70598.pdf

The article is specific to JFETs, as they are commonly used as voltage controlled resistors, and that is what I assumed you were talking about.

JFETs are symmetrical devices with conventional current flowing from drain to source (electrons flow in the opposite direction).

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It doesn't; it acts like a FET.

At any given Gate to Source voltage, the Drain to Source current plotted vs Drain to Source voltage is anything but linear, which it would have to be to act like a resistor.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
There is an old application note by National Semiconductors on JFETs. Amongst other uses it shows how to make them acting as variable resistors.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I dont dispute that a JFET can be used to emulate a voltage-controlled resistance, albeit only for small signals. I am saying the Drain to Source current/voltage characteristic of an NFET or PFET is different, and that makes those unsuitable for this purpose.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I would also like to know about working of Automatic Gain Control(AGC).
Is there any other application of FET which uses its ohmic characteristic region?

Thank you.
The JFET is just a bar of silicon with a P/N junction alloyed onto it - if you increase the reverse bias on that junction, the electric field spreads the depletion region further across the bar of silicon, eventually you reach a condition known as "pinch off" - which is just what it says, the electric field/depletion region has pinched off the conducting channel.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Good catch, thanks! It's so rare that I use a PFET, that I got ahead of myself.
Lately it has become fashionable to use MOSFETs the wrong way round to serve as polarity protection diode.

If you put the MOSFET in the supply lead such that the body diode is conducting, it serves to prevent reverse supply - but like any diode, it has a Vf drop.

However if you bias the gate with the correct polarity to the channel, the channel conducts with lower volt drop than the diode Vf.