Ferric Chloride Powder

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Hello, I have 250g of FC in powder but I can't figure out how its supposed to be mixed. Some forums say 1/1 ratio,some say 1/2 and some say 1/3.
On package it says add content in 0.5L of warm water but I doubt that this is correct ratio for PCB etching unless they mean one granule in 0.5L of water.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Be very careful, using eye protection and have lots of water available if anything goes wrong.
Work within some larger container in case of a spill.
Dont use HOT water, as this stuff can be very reactive. Very mildly warm water may be ok.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi,

Be very careful, using eye protection and have lots of water available if anything goes wrong.
Work within some larger container in case of a spill.
Dont use HOT water, as this stuff can be very reactive. Very mildly warm water may be ok.
Usually with corrosive chemicals in crystal/powder form - the chemical should be added to the water.

Sometimes, pouring water on a heap of reactive chemical causes a........well,er reaction.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Last time I was dealing with chemicals I ended up dropping an aluminium heatsink in bucket full of HCL, that's when I found out that fumes are pretty good at clering stuffy nose :D.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Last time I was dealing with chemicals I ended up dropping an aluminium heatsink in bucket full of HCL, that's when I found out that fumes are pretty good at clering stuffy nose :D.
Sounds like you shouldn't be using chemicals at all.... no really

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Good advice for mixing.

When etching, you want the solution to be warmer than the hottest water you can get from a faucet to increase etch rate. I heat my solution in a water bath that's 150-200F.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
One of the local biker club told me he put an aluminium cylinder head in a bowl of caustic soda to de-coke it.

He left it to soak overnight, by morning it was gone - he thought someone must've nicked it.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
He is genius,just like me:rolleyes:. Luckily in my case only the fins got etched away :)
Once I put a Suzuki 50 cylinder, piston and head on a Yamaha 50.

The Suzuki had a shorter stroke and at BDC it didn't clear the transfer ports, so I put a stack of M6 washers on each cylinder stud to raise the barrel. Originally I cut a cork sheet gasket to seal it, but that didn't last long. In the end I tied a length of bicycle inner tube round the gap - it worked, but every time the engine backfired, it farted!