False trigger problem in a 555 circuit

vale90

Joined Aug 6, 2015
MOD NOTE: Split from a hijacked necropost:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/false-trigger-in-a-555-based-on-off-circuit.67016/page-2

Hi all,

Apologies for opening the issue again but I still have false triggering problem even I've tried your suggestions. It seem better after connecting a cap between 2&6 to ground and changing voltage from 5V to 12V but I still have problems. I have 250 circuits in my hand already assembled :(

Now have a big headache! They will be used in a hospital with a wired hand terminal but sometimes lighting or even a hand touch triggers. I am sure its somewhere from switch input side.

I dont care start-ups but false triggers making me crazy.

Your help will be much appreciated!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi all,

Apologies for opening the issue again but I still have false triggering problem even I've tried your suggestions. It seem better after connecting a cap between 2&6 to ground and changing voltage from 5V to 12V but I still have problems. I have 250 circuits in my hand already assembled :(

Now have a big headache! They will be used in a hospital with a wired hand terminal but sometimes lighting or even a hand touch triggers. I am sure its somewhere from switch input side.

I dont care start-ups but false triggers making me crazy.

Your help will be much appreciated!!!
Used in hospitals? For what, electroshock therapy?

vale90

Joined Aug 6, 2015
Hi,

Attached you will find X0001.jpg (original produced) and X0001_revised (which I made revisions shown in Green color).

It seems it is working much more better now.

False triggerring was in different ways before:

- once switch wires not connected (open)
- once touching to wires by hand
- once an electrical appliance are turned on/off

Revised circuit seems much better now but I am still afraid :(X0001.jpg X0001_revised.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You're probably getting a spike in your voltage divider when the relay switches and it became less sensitive when you increased the supply voltage to 12V.

Do you have a decoupling cap on the timer power pin? You might also try one on the control pin.

Is the connection to B1/B2 a mechanical switch?

I built a timer circuit that controlled a mechanical relay and I couldn't get it to work because switching the relay affected the timer. I switched to a SSR and put the circuit with the mechanical relay aside...

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
How far are switch contacts from the ckt.? Are you using shielded twisted pair cable? Might reduce R2 & R3 to 2k or even 1K.