Extreme Novice: Simple Battery Powered Color-Changing Button Press Circuit/Switch.

Deejicus

Joined May 8, 2017
I appreciate anyone's help at all. Like stated, I am an extreme novice. I have an idea of what I would like to do but I need more specified guidance on how to achieve my idea. Also, I would like to ask for patience in advance with helping me with this as I am a neophyte. However, I have a bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems so I should be able to pickup most of the info (I hope). I know a few, simple electrical concepts as well but I am not versed enough in electronics/circuitry to consider myself anything other than novice.

I am creating a board game. I would like to create several, simple, battery-powered, lighted indicators for the board. What I have in mind in particular is; an LED(or something similar) that cycles through, red, yellow, green, then off with the push of a single button, powered by a watch battery or AAA battery. Ideally, the smaller the better. I would like them to be independent of each other as well so I can place them wherever i wish on the board. I'd like for this to be accomplished without an Arduino (if possible). The main component I have researched and that would be most suitable size-wise is the following.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13282

If there are any questions or if I can be more descriptive somehow, let me know and I will be happy to explain further.

Deejicus

Joined May 8, 2017
"Come again? You know I don't speak Spanish. In English, please." - Ron Burgundy.

(Moderator's note: This is a humorous quote from a movie. -dc)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deejicus

Joined May 8, 2017
Hi

You could use a 4013 to debounce the push button and clock a shift register to drive a low power tricolor led.

eT
Not sure how to do any of that. If you feel like it, would you mind expanding on that? You don't have to if you don't want.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Here is a crude outline for consideration. Power is continuous on the flip-flop, maybe a pair of NOR gates which will draw less than a uA. When switch is pushed, FF is set, output not Q goes low turning on the P ch. MOSFET. The C555 starts outputting pulses to the 4017 or 4022 which starts counting. At first step output goes high turning on red LED, common cathode. Second step, both red & green are on giving yellow- orange .
3rd count green only & 4th step FF is reset, turning off power. If interested we can fill in the numbers.
You will need R-G common cathode LEDs, & would be helpful to know LED forward V.
Are you in the US ?Three step color 00000.jpg

Deejicus

Joined May 8, 2017
Here is a crude outline for consideration. Power is continuous on the flip-flop, maybe a pair of NOR gates which will draw less than a uA. When switch is pushed, FF is set, output not Q goes low turning on the P ch. MOSFET. The C555 starts outputting pulses to the 4017 or 4022 which starts counting. At first step output goes high turning on red LED, common cathode. Second step, both red & green are on giving yellow- orange .
3rd count green only & 4th step FF is reset, turning off power. If interested we can fill in the numbers.
You will need R-G common cathode LEDs, & would be helpful to know LED forward V.
Are you in the US ?View attachment 126514
Yes I am in the U.S.