Extending the power and volume control on TW700 tablet

Gage Matusiak

Joined Oct 26, 2015
Hello, so I am in the process of installing a windows tablet into my car. The issue I am having is that there is no setting for me to make my tablet turn on when I switch the car in to accessory and the tablet begins to charge. Which means I am going to have to extend the power button because there is no way for me to reach the button when the tablet is installed. I am not really worried about the volume controls honestly, I can do that on the tablet itself once its on.

I've never done anything like this but from what I see it looks like I'm going to have to find a way to convert a ribbon cable into wires that I can run somewhere to a momentary switch. My main issue is that I don't know where to begin looking for these parts.

Gage Matusiak

Joined Oct 26, 2015
This is my first time using this forum, for whatever reason I can't see any of the pictures on my computer when I try to upload one of the tablet. All I can see is folders.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
More than likely the power switch itself is just 2 electrical contacts.. you just need to remove (desolder) the stock switch and then add wires to extend as needed..

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I hate being a critic (ok, well that was a lie...) but, installing a tablet in reach of the driver just seems like an awfully bad idea. I can just see you trying to scroll through apps or playing Candy Crush Saga when you are supposed to have your eyes on the road.

I've got a '15 Honda Odyssey with the Rear Entertainment System. On the dash, the system (including regular AM/FM radio and other audio functions) is controlled via a very unresponsive and difficult to navigate touch screen. Just switching AM to FM, or changing the station, takes your eyes away from the road for about 5 seconds -- plenty of time for a child to run in front of you or for the car ahead to slam his breaks.

Gimme knobs and buttons that I can operate without my eyes -- one button, one function. Maybe I'm just an old fogey, but, when your driving, you should be, well, driving.

Gage Matusiak

Joined Oct 26, 2015
More than likely the power switch itself is just 2 electrical contacts.. you just need to remove (desolder) the stock switch and then add wires to extend as needed..
The problem with me soldering is that everything is super tiny, I have no idea how ill manage to keep everything separate! But you are right, that's all I need to do.

I hate being a critic (ok, well that was a lie...) but, installing a tablet in reach of the driver just seems like an awfully bad idea. I can just see you trying to scroll through apps or playing Candy Crush Saga when you are supposed to have your eyes on the road.

I've got a '15 Honda Odyssey with the Rear Entertainment System. On the dash, the system (including regular AM/FM radio and other audio functions) is controlled via a very unresponsive and difficult to navigate touch screen. Just switching AM to FM, or changing the station, takes your eyes away from the road for about 5 seconds -- plenty of time for a child to run in front of you or for the car ahead to slam his breaks.

Gimme knobs and buttons that I can operate without my eyes -- one button, one function. Maybe I'm just an old fogey, but, when your driving, you should be, well, driving.
Eh its just a windows tablet ill probably barely touch the thing, there really only one reason I want it. The ecu I have in my car is tuneable and with the tablet ill be able to save a couple tunes that I can then switch with a press of a button.

Also how do I post a picture! This is driving me nuts.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This is an odd request. Most people who post here just say, "I'm too lazy to press the button. Please design a mechanical finger to do it for me.":confused:

The part I think is important is that there are laws against any kind of video display placed where the driver can see them. The only case where that does not apply is if you are a police person. Please obey the law and do not run over nearby cars, people, and small animals.

Gage Matusiak

Joined Oct 26, 2015
It is literally no different than any sort of display every new car ever has! I'm not asking the legality of what I'm doing, I'm asking how to do it, unfortunately my mind is made up.

Maybe it is my computer that's the issue here? I have a picture showing where the ribon cable goes, which would be super helpful...

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
its just a windows tablet ill probably barely touch the thing
... which begs the question "Is it worth going to all this trouble just to hve a push-button three feet closer?" ;).
Given that the on/off switch is most likely part of a scanned matrix, there is a chance that the scanning circuitry would be unhappy with the added capacitance/inductance of the extension wiring.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm not asking the legality of what I'm doing,
Yeah, I know. Somebody always, "plays the Lawyer" in the radio transmitter questions, and that annoys me because the guy building a transmitter usually knows the laws and/or has a license to transmit. Besides, you can't accidentally kill people by transmitting radio waves.

I just bought a car that has a radio/CD player in the dash that I haven't figured out in 10 minutes with the car parked! I have also seen a GPS map device in a tow truck, but that's a, "set it and forget it" application. I just felt an urge to say something like, "Don't text and Drive", it takes your mind off the road, and you CAN accidentally kill people by fussing with an engine programmer while driving.;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
How did I predict you would find an exception (and post it)?
Now, try to find one where the transmitting person directly kills somebody walking down the street, like a car would do.:rolleyes:

Gage Matusiak

Joined Oct 26, 2015
Okay, I've got it figured out, thank you for your guidance mcgyvr! I pulled out the switch, and carefully separated it and found the two contacts i need and ill definitely have enough room to solder it all up! Where should I get the soldering iron for this kinda work, i think mines a little to big?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Okay, I've got it figured out, thank you for your guidance mcgyvr! I pulled out the switch, and carefully separated it and found the two contacts i need and ill definitely have enough room to solder it all up! Where should I get the soldering iron for this kinda work, i think mines a little to big?
Really any soldering iron will work.. Just work fast (short bursts)..