Expressing Thankfulness

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
In Jewish ethical philosophy there is a principle of "hakarat hatov", it means "recognition of the good". One of the important bits of this is the idea that we should express our thankfulness for the good things in our lives as readily as we are willing to complain about the bad. It turns out that not only does this help others who have contributed to our lives, but it helps ourselves by focusing on what is good about them.

Yesterday, the All About Circuits website suffered an outage for about 15 minutes or so. The server returned a 500 error, and eventually Cloudflare (the content delivery network AAC uses) wasn't even able to get that out of it.

During that time I realized that I had become attached to the various people here. Imagining that the server might not return to service (not really expecting this, mind you, just contemplating it) I knew that if that happened, you would all be gone. I would probably never be able to talk with you again, and see your idiosyncratic posts, and learn from you, and reminisce, and laugh with you. It made the good you have added to my life—simply by being who you are—very clear.

So, to all the regulars of AAC, thank you for the good you have brought to my life. To the people that show up to ask a question, they stay and become part of this community, thank you. To the people who happily spend time helping others, and teach me about patience and perseverance, thank you. To the people that keep this place running, thank you. And, even to the irascible curmudgeons who, in spite of delivering it with some barbs attached, help even the least clueful questioners, thank you.

I have had bad luck in my life, like all of us—but I have had plenty of good for which I am very thankful, and one of those things, thanks to the people here, is AAC.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
In Jewish ethical philosophy there is a principle of "hakarat hatov", it means "recognition of the good". One of the important bits of this is the idea that we should express our thankfulness for the good things in our lives as readily as we are willing to complain about the bad.
I try to put in practice that often.

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
Great Idealogy ,
Maybe just one big obstacle has been there,since mid ages or even before for an engineer to be thankful about surroundings,
and It's been peoples or govts who always wanted to hide truths or fool laities, but found it impenetrable for engs.
yea,It'a a little bit hard to deal with peoples who are able to open every parking doors,hack personal datas,and penetrate all secured places.