"Expensive" keyboard repair - ROCCAT Ryos

Enrique Rumbo

Joined Aug 31, 2019
Greetings,

I've been fighting with this keyboard for weeks and as a last resort I'll try to dive into the beast "guts", with your help I hope. I wouldn't try to repair it if it wasn't because it costed me +200€.

The issue is that not one of the 7 different PCs I tried recognize the keyboard. Always an ERROR 43 code is shown. Keyboard LEDs turn on, but it doesn't work. I've already done everything I can "software side". No drivers, different drivers, specific software from the manufacturer. Same result. The manufacturer, ROCCAT, has an utility for flashing firmware but is doesn't even show the keyboard when I try to use it.

So... now I'm here.

Would anyone know where to go from here? I see various SMD, like the ARM processor, the CMOS and 3 others that when I search for the code number, nothing is shown. Swapping the CMOS is doable (with my low level of soldering skills) and cheap (around 2€). But I'm "alone in the dark" since I don't know if the CMOS is the issue or how to test it.

I know wiring is ok, connectors too (USB and the inner ones) because I did a continuity test with a multimeter.

Pictures show the "innards".

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.

Have a good day!

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No, sir, it's not.
Without some additional information on the problem, I predict that replacing components at random with no plan in mind is unlikely to produce positive results. Is there a reason to believe this is a PC compatible keyboard? Who or what is throwing the Error code 43 and what do you think it means?

Enrique Rumbo

Joined Aug 31, 2019
Without some additional information on the problem, I predict that replacing components at random with no plan in mind is unlikely to produce positive results. Is there a reason to believe this is a PC compatible keyboard? Who or what is throwing the Error code 43 and what do you think it means?
What more information can I give?

The keyboard was working, until it stopped.

Error code 43 is a driver issue, supposedly. In this case, it is not. As explained, I've tried for some days to install, uninstall, old versions and even flash new firmware.

It has to be a problem with something internal since the PC recognizes that something is plugged in, but it doesn't know what it is.

I suppose there's something internally that tells the PC what kind of device it is.

I would look on eBay for a used working keyboard and swap boards..
It's a mechanical keyboard, so everything that will wear off with use can be replaced but I'm afraid that when a +200€ keyboard "dies" when it's out of the warranty time, people are pissed off and throw them with extreme prejudice.

Anyways. I'm willing to spend little money repairing it. I won't but any other ROCCAT prodcuts, since I have a mouse too that costed +120€ and the buttons double click. Tired of replacing switches...

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What more information can I give?

The keyboard was working, until it stopped.

Error code 43 is a driver issue, supposedly. In this case, it is not. As explained, I've tried for some days to install, uninstall, old versions and even flash new firmware.

It has to be a problem with something internal since the PC recognizes that something is plugged in, but it doesn't know what it is.

I suppose there's something internally that tells the PC what kind of device it is.

It's a mechanical keyboard, so everything that will wear of with use can be replaced but I'm afraid that when a +200€ keyboard "dies" when it's out of the warranty time, people are pissed off and throw them with extreme prejudice.

Anyways. I'm willing to spend little money repairing it. I won't but any other ROCCAT prodcuts, since I have a mouse too that costed +120€ and the buttons double click. Tired of replacing switches...
OK. It was not clear from your original post that the keyboard was previously working. It apparently has a USB connection and USB devices are REQUIRED to exchange certain information with a host before they can be used. This process is called "enumeration". The error 43 is probably being thrown by Windows Device Manager because it cannot successfully exchange information with the keyboard. I rate your chances of being able to make a successful repair as vanishingly small.

If you Google "Device Manager Error Code 43" you may discover some additional things to try.

Good luck

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
OK. It was not clear from your original post that the keyboard was previously working. It apparently has a USB connection and USB devices are REQUIRED to exchange certain information with a host before they can be used. This process is called "enumeration". The error 43 is probably being thrown by Windows Device Manager because it cannot successfully exchange information with the keyboard. I rate your chances of being able to make a successful repair as vanishingly small.

If you Google "Device Manager Error Code 43" you may discover some additional things to try.

Good luck
It seems that you are after something valid PB.

Enrique Rumbo

Joined Aug 31, 2019

Good luck
Thanks for the answer.

That information, I suppose, is stored in the CMOS memory. Maybe this component is faulty and because of that the manufacturer tool for reflashing doesn't find any target to flash?

This CMOS have a volatile and non volatile memory? I mean, if I replace it with a new one, does it have to be preprogrammed with the manufacturer firmware?

Maybe is a voltage regulator not giving enough voltage?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
a Google search suggests difficulties with USB drivers so not the keyboard itself.
A hardware failure seems unlikely, but possible. I have not seen a USB device that was working suddenly start failing. Unless we can gather some more information about what is going on, speculation is all we have and that does not seem to allow for forward progress. It might take somebody with a USB monitor to examine the enumeration process to see where it is going wrong. I seem to remember trying to debug the firmware for a USB device that we wanted to interface to a Windows XP machine. Every time the enumeration failed, for a variety of reasons, the Windows registry ended up being corrupted badly enough to prevent further attempts at successful enumeration until the registry had been scrubbed of all knowledge of the VendorId, DeviceId, and other particulars of the enumeration process. Windows could be cranky about allowing devices that failed to disrupt its operations.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
No, sir, it's not.
Adafruit is selling a little dev board that could be used to replace most of the guts of your keyboard. The controller is the same controller on a full-boar Raspberry pi but these guys are only $8. They were primarily designed for home-brew keyboards but can be used for so much more. Unfortunately, they are sold out today. I just bought 4 of them. Super easy to use - just plug into the USB and connect to your PC. The board looks like a hard disk. Drop your Circuit-python code into the disk and push the reset button.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-kb2040

Digikey has some in stock
https://www.digikey.com/en/products...N4IgTCBcDaIKwGYAMYAEBBAJgQwGYCcBXASwBcQBdAXyA
Here is a video with some how-to for the keyboard...
https://www.adafruit.com/product/5302

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
There's Arduinos that can emulate a HID keyboard. With some patience and a continuity tester you could figure out the switch matrix. It takes less time than you'd think to check from one pin to every other and create a netlist.
The 32181 chips could be the Panasonic AN32181B RGB LED matrix driver. I didn't find evidence of support for that in Arduino, but Panasonic has a good data sheet.