Every once in a great while something good happens in the world

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Dude, his first-stage boosters land themselves.

For that, he can dance.
+1
The rocket’s onboard operating system uses “a stripped-down Linux running on three ordinary dual-core x86 processors” which control the rocket’s engines as well as its flightpath-directing grid fins. Each processor runs a separate version of the flight software — written in C/C++
Yes, we run Linux, with the PREEMPT_RT patch applied in order to get better real-time performance. We don't use any third-party distribution, but maintain our own copy of the kernel and associated tools. We have made small changes to the kernel over the years, although it is mostly unmodified. The only exception to that is the addition of several custom drivers to interface with our hardware. We use a variety of hardware architectures. I can't go into much detail other than to say it is a distributed system made up of many individual computers. – Josh

For some level of scope on Starlink, each launch of 60 satellites contains more than 4,000 Linux computers. The constellation has more than 30,000 Linux nodes (and more than 6,000 microcontrollers) in space right now. And because we share a lot of our Linux platform infrastructure with Falcon and Dragon, they get the benefit of our more than 180 vehicle-years of on-orbit test time. – Matt
That's something good in the world and space. :D

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It's too bad then, I guess, that Aristotle, da Vinci, Newton, Galileo, Shakespeare, Einstein, Curie, Edison, Musk, etc., etc. didn't contribute more of their time.

Imagine how much further our society could have progressed but for their dead weight.
Here's a nice lady that's not wasting time on picking up trash. She's using that sharp mind for something better for Oakland.
https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/oakland-congresswoman-calls-for-50-minimum-wage-18670219.php
Oakland congresswoman defends her push for $50 an hour minimum wage

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-couple-rented-chinese-american-202616601.html
Black couple rented to a Chinese American family when nobody would. Now, they're donating $5M to Black community.

1709777312690.png
At the time, the only place for minorities and immigrants to stay in Coronado was Gus Thompson’s boarding house on the upper level of their barn. This didn’t happen by chance. Thompson had traveled from Kentucky to California to work at the Hotel Del Coronado. He built the house and barn on C Avenue in 1895, before the city’s racial housing covenants took effect making him exempt from the restrictions. Thompson converted his barn into a boarding house for the vulnerable.
https://kevinashley.substack.com/p/gus-and-emma-thompson-1886-1958
Gus Thompson was born into slavery in Cadiz, Kentucky sometime between 1859 and 1862. Records from the Federal Census Slave Schedules of 1860 from Cadiz list a James E. Thompson owning 22 slaves, four of whom were mulatto children. These four children included a one year old boy and three girls aged between 4 and 9 years old. These children are most likely to have included sisters Mary and Irene Thompson and their young brother Gus.
Remarkably, the house Gus and Emma built at 832 C Avenue is still standing today, albeit with a number of internal and external modifications. It is listed as being built in 1901, but was more likely constructed in 1894 or 1895. The Thompsons lived at 832 C Ave until late 1938 or early 1939, when they moved from Coronado and to a new home they built in the heart of San Diego’s African American neighborhood at 235 S. 32nd Street. They continued to own the C Avenue properties until 1955, when they sold it to Lloyd Dong, a Chinese-American gardener who had been renting the house since 1939. Gus had given Lloyd the promise of an option to buy it one day, and in 1955 Emma kept Gus’s word and sold it to the Dong’s, who still own the property today.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
My Chinese relatives worked the railroads and picked cotton in Texas. A long history of working together in this country, in some of the worst possible conditions.
1709777881482.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
When I first heard this story a week or so ago, my first that was: Okay, so someone donates a billion dollars and that is enough to create an endowment that eliminates tuition, forever, for a thousand students a year at a school that charges $60k/year. Great. Kudos for her. Very generous and I absolutely applaud her. But how many schools out there, both public and private, already have endowments sitting there that are many billions of dollars, and yet they still insist that they can't even keep tuition from continuing to go up at well over the rate of inflation decade after decade.

My second thought was: I'll bet the school finds a way to eventually charge students something close to what they would without the endowment by just creating new "fees" or other things that aren't covered by the "free tuition".

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
When I first heard this story a week or so ago, my first that was: Okay, so someone donates a billion dollars and that is enough to create an endowment that eliminates tuition, forever, for a thousand students a year at a school that charges $60k/year. Great. Kudos for her. Very generous and I absolutely applaud her. But how many schools out there, both public and private, already have endowments sitting there that are many billions of dollars, and yet they still insist that they can't even keep tuition from continuing to go up at well over the rate of inflation decade after decade.

My second thought was: I'll bet the school finds a way to eventually charge students something close to what they would without the endowment by just creating new "fees" or other things that aren't covered by the "free tuition".
My personal belief is that we should always be thankful for the good things that come our way.

There will forever be people on the lookout for situations that can be taken advantage of. Be it catastrophes such as earthquakes and hurricanes, or good things like stuff being given away for the benefit of the less fortunate.

That money is now in the hands of the university's board. And they're going to have to perform the arduous task of justifying how they spend or keep every single cent of it.

I stopped judging the (perceived) motivations of people's (or organizations') altruism a long time ago. If they can take advantage of their act of good will then so much the better. Win-win.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007