EV,s electric vehicles

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
Why can't you charge Lithium batteries to more than 80% capacity...Do they get too hot ? Ford is not making electric vehicles for sale 5/2024.
All the EV's that they have sold have been returned, (Dealer).

Cheers, DPW Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Why can't you charge Lithium batteries to more than 80% capacity...Do they get too hot ? Ford is not making electric vehicles for sale 5/2024.

That is the point where you switch from constant current to constant voltage mode while reducing the current to prevent overcharging. You do this to avoid damaging the battery and reducing its effective life. You would know this if you consulted Battery University.

https://batteryuniversity.com/

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
“Ford is not making electric vehicles for sale 5/2024.”

Hmmmm
Can you provide the source of this information?
Ford, like all legacy vehicle manufacturers, has had teething problems with EVs. And indeed, there have been recalls. But I haven’t seen anywhere that Ford is planning to stop sales of EVs for next year

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ford is most definitely NOT stopping their EV ramp up. They're spending billions on it and even if they fail to catch up, it'll take a decade to figure that out and they will not give up before 2025. No way.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Ford is not making electric vehicles for sale 5/2024.
You need to back that claim up with some proof, such as a press release to that affect from Ford, or at least a news article from some place semi-reputable (reputable news sources don't exist anymore).

Pure bunk. Earlier this week some packages were delivered to our house and the guy was driving a brand new Ford E-Transit van.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The initial post contained four sentences: one question, two statements alleging facts (trolling to get a response?) and a salutation. IMHO a response to any of those four sentences is legitimately "on topic".
There are better places to go trolling if that is indeed the case.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
There are better places to go trolling if that is indeed the case.
Don't think it was a real trolling, just a misunderstanding of what happened. DPW has been a member for a long time. Ford found the problem and went back into production 3 weeks later.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The initial post contained four sentences: one question, two statements alleging facts (trolling to get a response?) and a salutation. IMHO a response to any of those four sentences is legitimately "on topic".
The initial post of THIS thread was split off from another thread (and a note should have been placed in the new initial post to that effect). The original thread is here

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/charging-a-lithium-battery.193410/#post-1817576

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Since the OP is gone, I purchased a Emower, going to purchase a weed eater. The EGO brand you don’t tap, the line feed is auto, brilliant.

I can even use the battery from my mower, no additional battery needed. I have plenty of power after mowing my small lawn space.

I would recommend them, works great. I can mow when everyone is asleep without interuption.

kv

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I saw an EV charging station yesterday in the parking lot of a large store. It was not being used but it made a noise like it had a motor running inside it. Maybe it was brushing its teeth?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I saw an EV charging station yesterday in the parking lot of a large store. It was not being used but it made a noise like it had a motor running inside it. Maybe it was brushing its teeth?
My guess (and that's all it is) is that it was a cooling fan that was still running from the previous charge, possibly someone that left just before you got there.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021

A few things here,
first up, what is 100 % charge?
a battery has a charge curve,
the voltage difference between the charger and the battery, and the current , affects how much charge the battery can accept. Add to that battery memory ( a very small problem in Li Ion) , external temperature and battery temperature, and you have a moving target.
then you have the question, what is fully discharged. If a cell gets to low in voltage, it can totally stop working, again with many variables. if cells are in series, then its even more of a moving target.
now if one could charge / discharge individual cells, then we'd be able to get more in / out.

in general, heat is the killer of batteries, and charging makes batteries hot. they get hotter at the end of the charge than at the start,

hence idea of 20-80 percent charge is best.

but a moving target ,

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
All the Ford ads on TV are for conventional gasolene powered vehicles. 6/2023. The only place I see EV's evaluated is on Motorweek.
interesting, where in world are you based ?
+1
If it's in a major metropolitan area in the USA then I think maybe you should get out on the road (as a passenger, that helps) and look around. I see EVs every day. Mostly cars (mostly Teslas) but I have also seen electric trucks including Ford Lightning and l found it noteworthy week before last that I saw 3 different Rivian electric trucks in different parts of town.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
I'm in UK.
Don't think I've seen any ads for ice cars for a good while.
Car ads seem to be for hybrid
I'm guessing ev and ice cars sell themselves and don't need TV adverts.
On road , I can't remember a drive where I have not seen EV cars ,over here , ev have a green badge on the number plate so easy to distinguish .