Eugene, OR or Sacremento, CA?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am planning on doing a bicycle tour of the Willamette Valley this summer, starting from Portland.

Main reason for the trip is to set me up to take the Zephyr (Amtrak train) back east. The night before Eugene, I will be in Albany, OR which is about 47 miles from Eugene. I will be catching a train in Eugene to Sacramento.

The train lease Eugene at 5:30PM. Assuming no mechanicals or horrible, I should be able to knock that out in plenty of time to make the train.

But this is also a low stress trip so I am considering adding a day at the end of the trip. I needed to decide to stay in Eugene or Sacramento. Has anyone been to either? Where should I stay a day over?

If I plan on spending the extra day in Sacramento and I do get in late to Eugene I could always change my ticket to the next day and still make the Zephyr in plenty of time. I would think changing that leg should not be too expensive.

The way it works for Amtrak is tickets are priced on available space. Changing the Zephyr ticket could easily cost me $1,000 more.

So has anyone been to Eugene or Sacramento? Any preference on which sity to stay over?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I’ve been to Sacramento and there’s plenty to like about it. Of course I had a car to get around. I can’t recall if there’s a good walking or biking area if you don’t have a car. Also, it can get wicked hot there in summer. I think we had 114F the day I was there. Only place I’ve ever been where the wind blowing made you feel hotter instead of cooler.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I remember Sacramento as hot and dusty but it's below 60F until the 11th of January.
Hint: That's what computers are for...looking up weather.;)

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
I wouldn't be worried about catching an Amtrak train. The last one I took from Martinez (SF bay area) to Santa Barbara was a complete joke. I got up early and called the station to enquire about the train I was told to call back in 12 hours. That train was coming the same route you will be doing from Eugene south. The tracks through the Northern California mountains, particularly through Dunsmuir are notorious for slides and washouts. My uncle's family had long careers in that area keeping those tracks operational.

But in answer to your actual question, the "Old Sacramento" area is fun and is within walking distance from the train station. If you are a rail buff the museum there is wonderful. And why else would you taking the train? Sure you can walk around on a train but after a few hours of that I'd just rather be at my destination.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I wouldn't be worried about catching an Amtrak train. The last one I took from Martinez (SF bay area) to Santa Barbara was a complete joke. I got up early and called the station to enquire about the train I was told to call back in 12 hours. That train was coming the same route you will be doing from Eugene south. The tracks through the Northern California mountains, particularly through Dunsmuir are notorious for slides and washouts. My uncle's family had long careers in that area keeping those tracks operational.

But in answer to your actual question, the "Old Sacramento" area is fun and is within walking distance from the train station. If you are a rail buff the museum there is wonderful. And why else would you taking the train? Sure you can walk around on a train but after a few hours of that I'd just rather be at my destination.

I will likely stay in Sacramento then. A lot more to do there. The train museum sounds cool.

I am not worried about the train leaving on time or not. I am worried about getting there to catch it. I don't ever recall not making a schedule on one of my tours but there is always a first time.

As far as taking the train, there are a lot of benefits. First it is very relaxing, especially if you have a sleeper cabin. I find it really interesting to watch the landscape change. About the most dramatic is the change in western Montana. It goes from huge mountains to flat plains in just a few dozen miles. Lastly the stress factor with a bicycle is very low. All I need to do is had the man my bike and I am done. Other trips I would have to first disassemble it, then pack it up, then get it to a place that can ship. Or drop it at a bike shop, but then there is an issue of transportation after that. A heck of a lot easier just to be able to ride up to the stataion.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Sorry, I didn't pick upon the bicycle part. In that case if you are to stay in Old Sac then you are at one end of the American River bikeway. It would be a good ride for that day off. Go up the river to Natoma (or beyond). I think it's open all the way after being closed by a slide last year. Check out the Nimbus fish hatchery. Now I'm getting jealous.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I made a decision. Decided to stay the extra day in Sacramento. If I get behind, I could always change the Eugene segment and arrive Sacramento the same day as I leave on the train back easy.

Yousa is it expensive! But worth it in my opinion. I sort of figured it would be in the $800 range. With the Eugene leg and the cost for the bike, it is nearly $1,000. It would have been more but I opted for Business Class from Eugene to Sacramento.