ESP8266 (or similar) to handle input from 40 sensors (6 DOF).

krakensurf

Joined May 31, 2021
Hi Everyone, I'm designing a data acquistion module that uses 40 6DOF sensors, but I'm not sure how I can bundle all that data into one stream to send wi-fi, or is it possible to connect to multiple wi-fi signals (from each of the controllers needed). Anyone have any good ideas how to approach this situation? Thanks heaps!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
For data on the network the maximum packet size is 2315 bytes which is lager than the 1500 allowed by Ethernet. In the worst case you would have to access or invent a protocol that breaks large packets up into fragments

krakensurf

Joined May 31, 2021
For data on the network the maximum packet size is 2315 bytes which is lager than the 1500 allowed by Ethernet. In the worst case you would have to access or invent a protocol that breaks large packets up into fragments
But how do I get 40 inputs into a device that handles 8?

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
In the event that you can use I2C to communicate with the sensors, the device shown here may be applicable.
I2C Bus Multiplexor
Set ðifferent bus addresses for each group of 8 sensors. ... Say 5 groups of 8 sensors eacb, in all, therefore use 5 devices. It should then be possible to read data from each sensor. The method for acquiring each individual degree of freedom might be achieved by reading each of the sensors for a given degree of freedom, and then cycling onto the next degree, until all are accounted for. Once you have acquired the necessary data, there is a method to transfer it to a Twitter account page. There would have to be a way to activatfe, or read, the same degree of freedom on all sensors at a given time, in order to make this work.
... The method for obtaining the six individual degrees of freedom for a given sensor requires clarification. If it is possible to interrogate each of the six values on a given sensor, then the optimal method might be to sequentially read all six values for a given sensor at one time, and then move on to the next sensor.

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi Everyone, I'm designing a data acquistion module that uses 40 6DOF sensors, but I'm not sure how I can bundle all that data into one stream to send wi-fi, or is it possible to connect to multiple wi-fi signals (from each of the controllers needed). Anyone have any good ideas how to approach this situation? Thanks heaps!
Why are the latency requirements for the data? Why do you need just one ESP8266, since they are cheap as dirt? How will this data actually be used, could you describe the problem this is a solution to?