ESD

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i almost always make sure i at least discharge befor working in a computer. and if posiible stay in contact with the case at all times. withc in's as hard as it may sound on mane systems. if i'm working on a PSU or CRT no way will i use one. in both these cases it is usaly junk and im just salvaging parts anyways. an Imac i treat like a mix. discharge then go to work.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
i have worked for 2 electronics companies and in both places the same problem persisted, we would wear straps but if we would have a problem the engineer would come to the bench and pick up boards and not even THINK about a strap, one time i called an engineer out on it and he said that in his ESD class he was told that if he handled boards by the edges he was safe lol
It is a problem, and the engineer is full of BS and a liar besides. This is something your quality control dept needs to be aware of.

However, engineers are bad people to make enemies of, so it is a tricky problem. In every shop I have ever been in the basic strap is just that, basic. The rest is to support that effort, as even a good strap in working order can be swamped by enough ESD. In my shop, where the components are both uber expensive and whom people will be trusting with their lives, we use ionized air blowers, radioactive air guns, conductive furniture, conductive floors (special wax), conductive smocks, and all the wrist straps are continuously monitored for failure. Eventually we will probably either get heel straps or conductive shoes, my previous company had them.

In spite of this massive effort, and a faithful following of the rules, we still get an occasional component that seems to show ESD damage. This is why we also have 6 month audits. The issue is taken very seriously, as it should be.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
we use ionized air blowers, radioactive air guns. woudn't the air blower then make more esd by puting out ions, and radiocative air guns for what. that also sounds kind of dangerus.