english and PIC instruction

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi All!

I would like u to explain to me what is meant by the following:
"The LED should flash every 1 second"

Does that mean that the LED should be "on" for 1/2 a second and "off" for 1/2 a second too? I'm a bit confused...

Also what's the difference between:
- decfsz count, 1
- decfsz count, f
- decfsz count

Thanks for all ur replies!

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
any combination of on and off times totaling 1 second would be appropriate

The first command has an integer of one which the program uses to decrement the count with.

The second has a variable to use for the decrement, the variable can be anything the programmer decides

The third is simply a command with no declaration variable. Some languages will use this and default a one, others will require the variable/integer be declared

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Also what's the difference between:
- decfsz count, 1
- decfsz count, f
- decfsz count
They are all the same, F is defined somewhere as 1, and the default if you omit it is also F.
Open the "disassembly listing" window if you want to check.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
I would read that as being on for 1 second and then off for 1 sec.

It would be a 2 second repeating cycle or 0.5 Hz frequency but the changes or flashes would be at 1 second intervals.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
No, the qualifier "EVERY 1 second" must denote that an act takes place every 1 second, ie that act must have a frequency of 1 second.

The act is defined as "LED should flash" so in the absence of any details of duty cycle etc there must be 1 flash every second and a duty of 50/50 would be very reasonable.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I would like u to explain to me what is meant by the following:
"The LED should flash every 1 second"
I would take that as the period is 1 second, and the duration is "flash." So the LED comes on once a second, for some time less then a second, as "flash" can mean many things.

Hi there,

Square waves (such as waves produced by MCU pins turning on and off) have a frequency (literally, amount of times per second it turns on/off) and a period, which is how long the signal is 'on' for. Obviously there's not much point having a period of longer than (1/freq) seconds, as that would just be on constantly.

In the phrase you gave, the only thing specified is the frequency. So, provided the period is less than 1/freq, it can be anything. A period of 1.5 seconds would be fine.

Thanks,
Barnaby

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I would take that as the period is 1 second, and the duration is "flash." So the LED comes on once a second, for some time less then a second, as "flash" can mean many things.
Exactly.
"LED should flash every 1 second";
Then "every" denotes a repeating act which is frequency, hence frequency is 1 per second. You can't talk "every" without talking about a continuous repeat.

If he had said;
"LED should flash for 1 second";
Then "for" would apply to a specific single flash characteristic which would most likely be the ON period of the LED.