Emoji

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
I know this is not a social app as such ,

But we can like an item,

Has it been discussed expanding the like to other options ?

What started this, was a few that are obviously for a humour
and I'd like to be able to give something different to that which I also find humorous .

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I agree, @drjohsmith. If the palette is properly chosen, I think emojis are an asset in a forum like this. To be able to express agreement, surprise, surprise, and the like are very helpful.

The concern I have is down-vote type emojis. This allows unsupported negativity and offers a chance to members more likely to be a bit trollish to poke at their favorite victims.

As things stand, not being upvoted is a neutral but effective way to indicating something about the perceived quality of the post without active “drive-by” criticism. To be critical of a post now requires writing something that can be evaluated for the content of its analysis, and the reader can decide if the critic has a point. I think being able to just choose a down-vote casually has potential to go wrong, possibly likelihood of it.

I think expanding the emoji palette has the potential to be a very good thing but requires a very thoughtful approach to avoid providing the opportunity, intentionally or not, to socially injure members who are down-voted a lot.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
I agree, @drjohsmith. If the palette is properly chosen, I think emojis are an asset in a forum like this. To be able to express agreement, surprise, surprise, and the like are very helpful.

The concern I have is down-vote type emojis. This allows unsupported negativity and offers a chance to members more likely to be a bit trollish to poke at their favorite victims.

As things stand, not being upvoted is a neutral but effective way to indicating something about the perceived quality of the post without active “drive-by” criticism. To be critical of a post now requires writing something that can be evaluated for the content of its analysis, and the reader can decide if the critic has a point. I think being able to just choose a down-vote casually has potential to go wrong, possibly likelihood of it.

I think expanding the emoji palette has the potential to be a very good thing but requires a very thoughtful approach to avoid providing the opportunity, intentionally or not, to socially injure members who are down-voted a lot.
It's a tricky problem .

I can't make mind up on pro con ,
But thought I'd ask