embedded microcontroller for high-power LED rope light application

soonloy

Joined Jul 12, 2008
:confused:Currently,I been assigned to a title mention aboved as my final year project..My supervisor asked me to figure out the PWM circuit as apart of the project..I didn't know which circuit is suitable for this project.. Can anyone hepl me....?Thanks!!!!!!!!:p

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Can you supply us with more details on the light rope project? For example, you mentioned PWM is to be used. That leads me to speculate that the lights will need to have a "fade" mode.

hgmjr

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You might investigate the PIC12 series of microcontrollers by MicroChip Inc.

Their PICkit 1 programmer ($35) comes with a PIC12F675 uC, and there are 8 LEDs on the PICkit 1 (you can add 4 more) that you can control with a single 8-pin uC using Charlieplexing.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Charlieplexing

I have a PICkit 1 sitting right next to me that's using a PIC12F675 to flash all 12 LEDs in various patterns, using a modified version of the default.c & default.h program that's provided on CD with the PICkit. Wouldn't be hard to add PWM in with the mix.

If you want to drive multiple LEDs, you could add driver ICs such as ULN2803A's or ULN2068's.

soonloy

Joined Jul 12, 2008
Can you supply us with more details on the light rope project? For example, you mentioned PWM is to be used. That leads me to speculate that the lights will need to have a "fade" mode.

hgmjr
Basically, I doing a project that controlling the LED rope light using thyristor..I need to control the firing angle of thyristor(controlling the brightness,slow fade,flash) using microp based PWM.. Do you have any idea where I can get the circuit? Or suitable PWM? Or any other components that can be use?
Thanks...