Eliminate Button Noise

Thread Starter

pfeifferpedals

Joined Jul 25, 2009
10
The following circuit introduces a click noise into the audio signal (IN1, OUT1), whenever SW1 or SW2 is pressed. How can I eliminate/isolate that noise?

 

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,849
Put a capacitor around the switch, similar to these debounce schemes.



Just a suggestion, but scale the drawing to 800 pixels wide max, or keep it a thumbnail. It really detracts from the readability of the thread.
 

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,849
I just reread your post, I misunderstood the question. You want to eliminate the sound. This is likely going through the power supply, not the button itself. Filter it a bit tighter.

It is hard to say for sure, since I can't see the schematic the way it's set up (if it were a thumbnail the browser would autosize it), but I don't think I saw a filter cap on the +5V line? You might also isolate the digital and analog with a choke, but the capacitors come first.
 
Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,849
Much better! How big were the caps?

This kind of noise is hard to get rid of.

Studing the schematic I have a little trouble seeing what your doing. I think I see a variable impedance on the output, is this used to vary gain or what? The multiplexer is connecting different resistors to the output, from what I'm seeing.

I'm wondering if the click is the sound of U4 and U6 switching?

I've used variation of those mux/demux chips to route audio around, but that doesn't seem to be what you're doing. I'm going with volume at the moment. I'm not thinking power supply any more.
 
Last edited:

Thread Starter

pfeifferpedals

Joined Jul 25, 2009
10
I just tried a 100uf cap on the +5... still get the noise. I think I used 1uf by each ic... still didn't fix it. How do I implement a "choke"?
 

Thread Starter

pfeifferpedals

Joined Jul 25, 2009
10
It might be, but if the counter is at 7, the address lines on U4/U6 stay at logic 1. So it shouldn't switch. However, I still get the noise. The noise is more of a thump than a click. It is mid to low frequency.
 

Ruptor

Joined Apr 26, 2009
44
Hi
By changing the switches you are changing the clock inputs to the 193 and that switches the 4051 which is connected to the audio line. The noise is probably due to the digital change in the circuit and is inherent in the design since that is what the switches were meant to do. The only way to see if it is a fault is to get a scope on the input and output of the 4051. It might show a switching spike that could be absorbed on the digital inputs of the 4051. Usually digital outputs are inhibited while they are being changed if used with audio circuits otherwise all the switching noise is sent directly to line.
Hope this helps.
 

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,849
How easy is it to try experiments on your board? My thought is to use a second +5 power supplies, completely isolated from the first, to power U4/U6. This should prove whether it is the power supply or not, and offer a clue how to fix the problem.

If it is the power supply, and I am loath to commit at this point, you need to isolate the two sections.

Here is a concept drawing to illustrate what I'm saying...

 

Attachments

Thread Starter

pfeifferpedals

Joined Jul 25, 2009
10
YAHOO! I think you might be on to something Bill! I put a resistor on the 9V supplying the 7805 and the click went away! Now the only problem is that my LED has dimmed since I've lowered the current feeding the 7805.
 

Thread Starter

pfeifferpedals

Joined Jul 25, 2009
10
I tried several resistors and found the 220 ohm works like a charm! Thank you so much! I have been working on this for months. You guys are great!
 

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
11,248
But instead of attaching your schematic to your post here, it is at another website that does not work.
So I don't know what you are talking about.
 
Top